Sign in to follow this  
nodle

Infants 'Unable To Use Toy Blocks' Due To iPad Addiction

I won't even let my child look at the Ipad screen due to the small pixels. But I am not surprised by this one bit. My wife's nephew is addicted to the Ipad. if they even try to take it away from him he goes into convulsions.

Rising numbers of infants lack the motor skills needed to play with building blocks because of an "addiction" to tablet computers and smartphones, according to teachers. Many children aged just three or four can "swipe a screen" but have little or no dexterity in their fingers after spending hours glued to iPads, it was claimed.

Source

I won't question or argue the point that kids are being brought up and "babysat" by technology instead of proper human parenting but I do have to question the small pixels of the screen you mention. Are you saying that we are bad parents because we let our son look at the screen of pictures of himself, videos or facetime with family? I don't think there is any supported evidence that screens with small pixels(or being too close to a television, spending too much time on a computer etc.) will cause eye sight problems. I believe those activities are not good for learning and can cause eye strain leading to headaches but not vision problems.

I am not intending to start an argument. More just wondering why your stance with the screen. Like I said, I agree that children are best raised without or as little technology as possible but unless we completely get rid of it ourselves it's hard to tell your child they can't see it, use it or know it exists.

Once and awhile isn't going to hurt. But as you know all the tablets use tiny pixels to make up the image. I read a report just maybe 3 months back on how bad these are on children's eyes. I mean come on even me looking at the tiny little screen on my Iphone and my own eyes start to hurt. Children's eye start to develop young and the though of their pupils trying to focus on these little tiny bright squares even the thought of it makes my eyes hurt. Again this ain't gonna hurt any of them if they are face timing with Grandma etc. It's the kids like my Wife's nephew that can't even look away from the screen. And guess what? He looks cross-eyed and has glasses as thick as Coke bottle bottoms. Coincidence?

Oh, I see. yeah sometimes I wish we had and used less technology. Kids need to be brought up with human interaction and actual physical parenting.

I also read that kids learn from mimicking us and viewing what we do. Their eyes move back and forth catching details. When they stare at a screen their eyes are just fixed focused. There is so much back and forth on the internet about it though. So what it really comes down to is how you want to raise your own children. Also [uSER=21]@C Pav[/uSER] this wasn't a personal attack on your boy playing with your iphone etc. Mine does the same. I was really talking about the extreme cases like my Wife's nephew. Also let's face it this is really new technology in the first place, who knows the long term effects?

[uSER=1]@nodle[/uSER] sorry I didn't intend to come off sounding like I was accusing you of a personal attack. I need to learn to word my arguments better and without wording it so roughly.