Sign in to follow this  
C Pav

XBox One and Titanfall review.

I finally setup my XBox One on Monday and played Titanfall some last night. First off the setup. Typical new system setup from from taking everything out of the box and arranging systems and plugging in. Nothing new in that regards. The kinect is at least just one cord now compared to the old 360 kinect which required a USB cable to the machine and a power cable as well. Once all hooked up and ready to fire up came the setup of the system. Let me back up, I wish they would include the play and charge kit with the controllers. One thing I like, and dislike I guess if they go bad, is that Sony's controllers have the rechargeable batteries built into the controller. Like I said, good and bad because I don't liek to have to spend more but at the same time at least with the XBox controller I don't have to buy a new controller if the thing ever died.

Ok setup. Very easy. First it updates the system with a near 600 MB patch. Didn't take long at all. It then asks for the time zone, your favorite color and then your live email and password. The kinect also asks if you want to set it up(either before or after previous step) and doesn't take very long at all. The new kinect is a much higher definition camera compared to the old 360 kinect. I also didn't have to sit or stand a certain distance away for ti to calibrate or setup.

The menu takes a little to get used to but nothing too complicated. I still have to figure how to get where I want to go since I am used to the 360 UI. Included with the bundle was a 1 month live code and a digital copy of Titanfall. Remember having to always enter the long code to activate your code if it came on a card? Well its still an option but now you can also use the QR code and just scan it in with the kinect. I love that feature.

I am still getting used to the feel of the controller. I know [uSER=1]@nodle[/uSER] says it feels cheap but I don't see being lighter as being cheap. I agree that I am used to and like the heavier 360 controller but long term use and feel is what I judge controllers on. The triggers are "lighter" compared to the 360 triggers meening that the 360 triggers had a tighter tension feel when you pressed them down. Not a bad thing just different. I am also not used to the change of the menu and whatever button near the XBox circle. Have to use and play with it more to get a full idea of what everything does. Last is the XBox button. I kind of miss the old 360 one where it was a half circle sticking out where this one is flat and even with the surface. Not bad just different.

Now onto the game Titanfall. Basic team based online multiplayer FPS. The gameplay is fast and smooth and graphics are very nice. It was fun to go through the training missions and a few levels of the campaign but with any online game like this I will say I suck. I prefer single player games over multiplayer in FPS games but I won't base the review on that. The campaign puts you on a team of up to 5 other players against a team of 6 others. They throw in bots as well and you have different objections in each level. The first was a base capture type level and the others were just get as many kills as possible to score more than the other side. Honestly, very little story but it's not meant to be. The Titan's are cool. You have a cool down until they are ready then you call for one to drop and jump in. They have their own special abilities and weapons. There are 3 to choose from but I only used the first one available. There are 3 classes to choose from as well but only played the first assault or whatever.

Now for my major gripe and it needs to be changed. When waiting for the mission to load, once enough human players have joined, it starts the countdown from 90. If one side drops below 4 human players the countdown restarts once there are 4 or more players. The timer needs to be lowered a lot and should not require a certain number of players since it's just campaign and they can throw bots in anyway.

Overall review is...good game but not one that will hold my attention very long. I prefer single player games with multiplayer if I so choose. I will jump in to finish the campaign and then do some more multiplayer from time to time. Maybe my opinions will change the more I play but will have to wait and see. Honestly, I am glad I got the system because was going to at some point and being $50 off and including the game there was no reason not too. BUT I am more hyped at the moment for the PS4 and MLB 14 for it when that releases because that game is more along the lines of my interest to keep me playing a long time.

• Like 1

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. You need to learn to like FPS a little more though. Of note, once you get leveled up a bit, the three classes you referred to aren't all you get. You can then create custom classes, choosing your abilities, weapons, etc. Later you can also create custom titan load outs as well. It's a spectactular game. I do agree a good single player campaign would've been nice though.

Also, check out some of the Demos out there. If you get bored or are looking for other games to try, consider Max the Curse of Brotherhood or PowerStar golf. I think they are about $15 each and I really enjoy them both.

Keep me updated on your thoughts on the controller.

Initially I thought it seemed light. I even keep the message pad on my 360 controller for extra weight It isn't a lot smaller, but I did think it seemed a little small. The RB and LB buttons take some getting used to, to say the least.

BUT, now, while I still play a lot of 360 (still probably more than One at this point). I've come to prefer the Xbox One controller and miss it a bit when back on the 360 even being smaller and lighter.

I for got to mention the popup for achievements has changed a little. It's not a green box popup anymore. It's now a blue little popup. First it shows the achievement followed by a prompt saying you can click the XBox button to view info about it if you want.

The color of the achievement is actually the color you chose during the setup of the system and your profile. Mine is blue.

I finally setup my XBox One on Monday and played Titanfall some last night. First off the setup. Typical new system setup from from taking everything out of the box and arranging systems and plugging in. Nothing new in that regards. The kinect is at least just one cord now compared to the old 360 kinect which required a USB cable to the machine and a power cable as well. Once all hooked up and ready to fire up came the setup of the system. Let me back up, I wish they would include the play and charge kit with the controllers. One thing I like, and dislike I guess if they go bad, is that Sony's controllers have the rechargeable batteries built into the controller. Like I said, good and bad because I don't liek to have to spend more but at the same time at least with the XBox controller I don't have to buy a new controller if the thing ever died.

Ok setup. Very easy. First it updates the system with a near 600 MB patch. Didn't take long at all. It then asks for the time zone, your favorite color and then your live email and password. The kinect also asks if you want to set it up(either before or after previous step) and doesn't take very long at all. The new kinect is a much higher definition camera compared to the old 360 kinect. I also didn't have to sit or stand a certain distance away for ti to calibrate or setup.

The menu takes a little to get used to but nothing too complicated. I still have to figure how to get where I want to go since I am used to the 360 UI. Included with the bundle was a 1 month live code and a digital copy of Titanfall. Remember having to always enter the long code to activate your code if it came on a card? Well its still an option but now you can also use the QR code and just scan it in with the kinect. I love that feature.

I am still getting used to the feel of the controller. I know [uSER=1]@nodle[/uSER] says it feels cheap but I don't see being lighter as being cheap. I agree that I am used to and like the heavier 360 controller but long term use and feel is what I judge controllers on. The triggers are "lighter" compared to the 360 triggers meening that the 360 triggers had a tighter tension feel when you pressed them down. Not a bad thing just different. I am also not used to the change of the menu and whatever button near the XBox circle. Have to use and play with it more to get a full idea of what everything does. Last is the XBox button. I kind of miss the old 360 one where it was a half circle sticking out where this one is flat and even with the surface. Not bad just different.

Now onto the game Titanfall. Basic team based online multiplayer FPS. The gameplay is fast and smooth and graphics are very nice. It was fun to go through the training missions and a few levels of the campaign but with any online game like this I will say I suck. I prefer single player games over multiplayer in FPS games but I won't base the review on that. The campaign puts you on a team of up to 5 other players against a team of 6 others. They throw in bots as well and you have different objections in each level. The first was a base capture type level and the others were just get as many kills as possible to score more than the other side. Honestly, very little story but it's not meant to be. The Titan's are cool. You have a cool down until they are ready then you call for one to drop and jump in. They have their own special abilities and weapons. There are 3 to choose from but I only used the first one available. There are 3 classes to choose from as well but only played the first assault or whatever.

Now for my major gripe and it needs to be changed. When waiting for the mission to load, once enough human players have joined, it starts the countdown from 90. If one side drops below 4 human players the countdown restarts once there are 4 or more players. The timer needs to be lowered a lot and should not require a certain number of players since it's just campaign and they can throw bots in anyway.

Overall review is...good game but not one that will hold my attention very long. I prefer single player games with multiplayer if I so choose. I will jump in to finish the campaign and then do some more multiplayer from time to time. Maybe my opinions will change the more I play but will have to wait and see. Honestly, I am glad I got the system because was going to at some point and being $50 off and including the game there was no reason not too. BUT I am more hyped at the moment for the PS4 and MLB 14 for it when that releases because that game is more along the lines of my interest to keep me playing a long time.

I am with you on being excited for The Show on PS4, one more month???

I am with you on being excited for The Show on PS4, one more month???

Yeah a month away. Contemplating buying the PS4 next chance I get if in stock so I have it ready when the game comes out.

Yeah a month away. Contemplating buying the PS4 next chance I get if in stock so I have it ready when the game comes out.

Have you been checking online like at Amazon?

Have you been checking online like at Amazon?

They are pretty readily available online. Was hoping to get one locally.

Looks like this deal may be off now showing full price for the bundle now.

They went back to full price shortly after the deal, requires a code to get the discounted price. This is where some people got lucky and purchased it for $399 or so, because Amazon had left the price lowered by $50 and they managed to use the $50 discount code at the same time. Now (if it isn't a dead deal, dunno if it is or not) you just have to have the discount code to get it at $450

I would think the next price drops for any system will be after E3 or late holiday season like Christmas.

I would think the next price drops for any system will be after E3 or late holiday season like Christmas.

Your probably right or a system release without kinetic to drop price.

Of course. Didn't I post a link to pictures of the collectors edition I got? Or broadcast gameplay on twitch? Actually I have the disc from that yet that I need to do something with, and the digital copy.

I need three more titan kills, then I can regenerate (prestige) and be a Gen 8 pilot.

I play it quite frequently with a buddy a or two. I really enjoy it, but it does make call of duty seem boring when I go back to that and play with buddies as CoD is a slower pace and then I miss the parkour and titans

Of course. Didn't I post a link to pictures of the collectors edition I got? Or broadcast gameplay on twitch? Actually I have the disc from that yet that I need to do something with, and the digital copy.

I need three more titan kills, then I can regenerate (prestige) and be a Gen 8 pilot.

I play it quite frequently with a buddy a or two. I really enjoy it, but it does make call of duty seem boring when I go back to that and play with buddies as CoD is a slower pace and then I miss the parkour and titans

How is the multiplayer? Is it easy to join friends etc.? Just like the old 360? Does it have voice etc. where you can talk with your friends?

Well, it's nothing but multiplayer, but even if you suck it feels like you have a chance. There are AI enemies as well, so you can kill them, but killing other pilots is better. For classic game modes, you get a titan after 4:00, and then every 2:00 of the game. Kills and other actions reduce build time, so everyone gets a titan to run around in. Then there are other game modes where you start with one, or where there are no titans. All in all its a lot of fun.

As far as parties, it's pretty much the same as the 360. Basically you (or one of your friends) will start a party and then invite others to it for chat and/or to the game. So you can be in party chat to talk with one another while you play different games, you could be in party chat together and play a game together, or you can play a game together and stick in game chat where you'd hear all the other players in the game with you as well.

There's a few different ways to set up the party, either from start screen where you start the party, pick a game, invite and so on, or you can just start one from within the game easily as well. On the 360, you'd have to bring up the guide then go to Party to see who was in it, and such. On the Xbox One, the Party is snapped to the right side of the screen to see who's in it, who's talking, invite others and so forth. You can quickly unsnap/hide it when you want and then bring it back up at any time fairly quickly as well (especially if you use voice commands).

All in all the experience is better I think than with 360 for multiplayer and chatting with friends. It's not a super huge change, but little things like voice quality are improved. I also really like how they changed the headset connector so it has the mute and volume controls right at the controller easily reached mid-game without having to fumble around to find the in-line controls on a cord somewhere.

Well, it's on the adapter that connect to the controller, but they are right there at your finger tips when it's plugged in. It's great to not have to take a hand off the controller to mute myself if I need to talk to someone in the room or feel a cough coming

OH SHEEEEETTTT! Fake?

Link

I have no inside info, but whether it is or not, I wouldn't put money on it coming to the PS4. The next release, yeah maybe, but pretty sure after the previous rumors it was made pretty clear that things in place guaranteed Xbox exclusivity for the current game. Who knows, maybe they worked something out to change it, but I wouldn't be hedging any bets on it.