Sign in to follow this  
nodle

Amazon fireTV Announced

So, it looks like a Roku and has Ouya like capability (plays andoid games intended for mobile device)?

Basically yes lol

Not a bad deal for streaming. I don't know what I think of mobile games on TV. At least not with a normal console controller. I guess some will work much better than others. Mobile FPS games or anything that uses an onscreen joystick would be better that way. Other things where you are pressing/dragging/tapping would be more difficult. That and most mobile games are just little time wasters that you play for a few minutes here and there.

It's interesting, though with some phones starting to support Miracast, or having HDMI out, why not just broadcast to the TV and play that way. Suppose it gives an alternative to having to have a smartphone or such at least.

Amazon has this up on their site now. But I hate to say it I would save $50 and buy the HDMI Roku instead.

I dunno. There are plenty iOS games I would play on a TV with a controller that had tactile buttons instead of touch screen input. If it was easier to but amazon prime and Netflix on the OUYA, I wouldn't be interested. As it is, I buy CDs from amazon with rip it so I can get free mp3s. The cloud business is an ok deal.

Impressive.

Amazon Instant Video today announced that video streams on Prime Instant Video nearly tripled year over year. According to a report from Qwilt, which tracks growth in online video usage, Amazon has now passed both Apple and Hulu in streaming video usage.