DD-WRT router firmware

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I got this up and running yesterday. But not after I thought I had "bricked" my router. I was a little scared there at first. But all is working fine now. Talk about alot of features! Even more than I even know what to do with. All in all I say it was worth it. :smt023

www.dd-wrt.com

I don't know if this has to do with anything but, it seems like ever since I flashed, my router barely produces any heat out of the top of it. It's wierd.

Man this thing has so many features built in. :smt023

Did you go with v23 SP2? How big was the .bin file?

Did you go with v23 SP2? How big was the .bin file?
Just make sure to get the correct verison for your model. The .zip file should have a readme telling which firmware in the package to use. There may be 3 or 4 firmwares in the .zip. I just used the "standard" version not the lite ot the VOIP.

Well... I know quite some time ago there was a thread relating to updating your router's firmware.  however anytime I look back and repost it yells at me about the thread being dead for however long, so I'll just start a new one.  I have been having some wireless disconnects and such so I was again really wanting to change out my firmware on my Linksys WRT54G.  I knew there was something about it the last time that I just couldn't do it.  Well turns out I have a V6 version of the darn thing.  Only 2 MB of nvram to put firmware on.  Thus I can not load Tomato, though it is what I would prefer.  If you try, you get the following message "Upgrade Are Failed"  That is some proper English there (not that I use proper english often, but gee whiz)

So I did some research and there are two versions that work on this thing.  OpenWRT and DD-WRT.  These are the only two with a "micro" version of their firmware that will work.  Also, this version of the router is based on some VxWare and not linux.  Thus you must first use the factory upgrade mechanism to wipe out the existing firmware.  Reboot.  You get the vxware management mode screen and then load another image that kills vx ware.  Now you are ready to TFTP the DD-WRT (or OpenWRT) image up to your router.  Well I did this and got the latest stable version installed.  and then.....

CRAP, it won't save any settings.  Power cycled, still won't work for crap.  So I hooked directly to my modem, download a newer release candidate version, magically the DD-WRT upgrade utility was at least working.  Got the new version loaded and at least now I could save settings.  If only the wireless would assign me and IP address and if the internet would work.  I'll give it this, there are far more settings that the LinkSys firmware did not have.  It's probably better over all.  It is not however all that intuitive if you don't know your networking.  After plenty of tinkering it is finally up and running properly now.  Thank God, cuz I need to get MotorStorm updated for tomorrow, and then try out Heavenly Sword.

Glad to see it's not bricked sir. Before Tomato came out i ran DD-WRT also. I remember after my first flash i though i bricked it. But i did a reset and magically got it working. But you are right there are so many advanced setting, unless you have a little knowledge it can be over whelming. one thing you never want to do if flash over a wireless connection. I didn't mind DD-WRT, and in fact i think they have a version with VPN built into it. But once i went Tomato i never looked back. But use DD-WRT bcause it will be 100x better than stock. Congrats on getting her up and running.

Back