Weather websites and apps recommendations

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
What the storm chasers use. Also has really good future (7 days) precipitation estimates.

Pivotal Weather

Last edited by a moderator:
One neat thing about Ventusky as well, if you switch to their precipitation layer, and lightning is happening it shows it in real time. Pretty cool.

One neat thing about Ventusky as well, if you switch to their precipitation layer, and lightning is happening it shows it in real time. Pretty cool.
Is there a way to get their radar to go further in the future more than 1 hour? It goes back in time several hours but that is pretty useless. Maybe their free desktop mode is limited?

Anyone else find it extremely windy this year, or just our area?

I had forgotten that I had previously removed the built in Apple weather app. I reinstalled it yesterday and it has really come along way. I like it.

Weather on the App Store (apple.com)

[QUOTE='nodle]I had forgotten that I had previously removed the built in Apple weather app. I reinstalled it yesterday and it has really come along way. I like it.
Weather on the App Store (apple.com)
[/QUOTE]Yes it has. Pretty solid now.

It looks like the Dark Sky app is being removed (thanks @jmanz) the technology is going in to the default Apple Weather app.

I tried researching this a bit last night, does Apple use technology from The Weather Channel or what exactly do they use?

[QUOTE='jmanz]I tried researching this a bit last night, does Apple use technology from The Weather Channel or what exactly do they use?
[/QUOTE]I heard they use Dark Sky's tech. From what I know, Dark Sky was its own app. It got quite popular then Apple purchased it and started moving over its tech into their own app. That is why the app is shutting down, since Apple's default app is a skinned Dark Sky. It uses Dark Sky's rain detection etc. I could be wrong but I believe that is what happend.

'nodle]I heard they use Dark Sky's tech. From what I know said:
Clearly they are using their tech now. But not that long ago I was comparing the rain rates in real time and they were different. So I was just curious what Apple was using before this deal. Must have been a recent collaboration is what I'm saying.

Oh, ya I don't know who they were piggy backing from. That is the way most of these weather apps work, the make their own skin and then pay licensing to another company to use their weather tech. I know quite a few uses Weather Underground API I believe.

Back