Lets discuss Barbecuers

I know nothing of the Pit Boss ones. The few I know that went with the Green mountain and have been happy. I know one for sure also got the thermal blanket as an accessory. There is a dealer here in town though so availability of the grill itself is one thing that could be difficult in some areas. For accessories I don't see that there's really many specific accessories that would have to be the same brand, mostly just grill racks and such marked up because of a brand name on them for either Traeger or GMG

I've been tempted by the GMG, but i already have a gas grill that gets used for burgers/dogs/brats and the green egg that gets used for most any other grilling and for long smokes. The simplicity of a pellet grill for smoking is tempting, but for the number of times i get around to it in a year I'll likely just stick with my Egg since it is good for smoking (that I do occassionally) and great for grilling (that I do a lot). I know the pellet grills can get hot enough for any grilling, but in general they are great for smoking and OK for all around grilling

OK for all around grilling
I think my Traeger does a great job as a normal grill. In fact @jmanz makes fun of me because I have probably cooked more hotdogs and hamburgers on it than anything. :LOL: I also think mine does a fairly good job of retaining smoke with out it leaking, same goes for the heat. The only time I dropped tempeature real fast once was when I ran out of pellets in my hopper and didn't notice. :whistle:

I think my Traeger does a great job as a normal grill. In fact @jmanz makes fun of me because I have probably cooked more hotdogs and hamburgers on it than anything. :LOL: I also think mine does a fairly good job of retaining smoke with out it leaking, same goes for the heat. The only time I dropped tempeature real fast once was when I ran out of pellets in my hopper and didn't notice. :whistle:
If it works for you that's great. I know folks that didn't realize a Traeger was primarily for smoking and entirely indirect heat that were quite disappointed after a salesman talked them into one and they got home and couldn't grill over a flame with a lid open.
Of course a pellet grill does great at retaining heat and smoke - that's specifically what they are designed to do. They certainly can be used for grilling/cooking hotdogs/burgers. It all depends what you want to grill and how you prefer to do it. Each type of grill has strengths and weaknesses, and some are much more versatile than others at offering different ways to cook on them.

I still plan on keeping my gas grill around. They are nice for a quick meal. Nothing wrong with having a couple grills for different food options.

One thing to note about those Pit Boss Grills.....People say their pellets are terrible and recommend to use Traeger pellets.

One thing to note about those Pit Boss Grills.....People say their pellets are terrible and recommend to use Traeger pellets.
You can save money and just use wood pellet stove pellets. But after eating my food from these pellets I don't ever feel very good. :sick:

You can save money and just use wood pellet stove pellets. But after eating my food from these pellets I don't ever feel very good. :sick:
I like saving money and all but I don't think I'd go that far.

I pulled my Egg into the garage last weekend, turned the heat up a bit in there and cleaned it out pretty well. The last time I used it, the weather was pretty cold and a lot of moisture got in there that I needed to dry up. It's ready to roll anytime again now though.

I also ordered up some replacements parts for my gas grill yesterday. Some replacement burners and other pieces for the inside to get it into real good shape.

I pulled my Egg into the garage last weekend, turned the heat up a bit in there and cleaned it out pretty well. The last time I used it, the weather was pretty cold and a lot of moisture got in there that I needed to dry up. It's ready to roll anytime again now though.I also ordered up some replacements parts for my gas grill yesterday. Some replacement burners and other pieces for the inside to get it into real good shape.
This conversation compelled me to start looking at grills online again last night.

I pulled my Egg into the garage last weekend, turned the heat up a bit in there and cleaned it out pretty well. The last time I used it, the weather was pretty cold and a lot of moisture got in there that I needed to dry up. It's ready to roll anytime again now though.I also ordered up some replacements parts for my gas grill yesterday. Some replacement burners and other pieces for the inside to get it into real good shape.
Ya the last time I used mine, I got everything cleaned out. Shop vacuumed the inside out etc. I then pulled it in my heated garage all winter with a cover one. The only thing that I didn't do is clean out my hopper (or maybe I did :unsure: ) but anyways it should be good to go soon.

Almost pulled her out today, was so beautiful here today I feel like a barbecue!

Is this what you were talking about for winters @ndboarder ?

812YL2XIBDL._SL1500_.jpg

I really got to get me the front shelf for mine.

@nodle - yes that's the thermal blanket they have to allow operation in lower temps. Some of the more expensive ($2000-ish) traeger's I've looked at are a lot thicker steel body it seems, but most of the others are thinner and I can see where that blanket would definitely be needed. The more expensive ones are twice as thick of the material on the lid compared to the one pictured with that blanket on it. Similar to what I've seen on Yoder or GMG pellet grills.

Some of the more expensive ($2000-ish) traeger's I've looked at are a lot thicker steel body it seems
I know when I bought mine (Costco Exclusive), mine was a thicker metal than the rest. I remember the guy talking about this and I at first thought he was just trying to up sell it, but I remember playing with the lower model and there was a difference in the gauge of steel. I spent more than I probably should of at the time, but it was such a steep up from the lower model, plus got a official cover, official cook book, and I think a free bag of pellets.Found mine here:

Link

One of our local stores is getting prepared this year. They have quite the selection of accessories for Traeger. Every wood pellet flavor, all accessories including their full line of sauces and rubs. Saw they also carried Pit Boss brand pellets as well. That shelf unit is tempting.

I see that Costco in town had set out some grills. Last year they had a nice looking Kamado ceramic grill (like the green egg). I see this year it is a Pit Boss brand one. Seems very much the same, but a good value either way. They are about the size of a Large green egg, but they include a number of accessories that are extra on an Egg (stand, side table attachments, and a couple others)

Well looks like I will be getting my Traeger shelf. Boss game me a gift certificate to the place that sells them here in town and I kept thinking, what should I get? Then I remembered the shelves.

Got my shelf, now just need @jmanz here to help me pull it out of the garage.

Back