Your backup solution

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So was wondering what everyone uses for their backup solution? I go a little overboard, but I have experienced data loss before. So just wondering if people use a local setup or an online solution etc.

My current setup is a backup to a Windows Home Server. This has redundancy in case of a drive failure. Plus I had a external WD my book which I back up my data to bring to work with me for offsite backup. The drive is fully encrypted in case some one would steal it etc. I had always wanted to use a online backup solution like Backblaze but since I run a WHS it's based off of Server 2003 OS. Therefore its classified as an Server OS and most online software won't allow it. But I recently came across Crashplan which does work with WHS. So i tried the trial and sure enough it does. So now I finally have a little more piece of mind since not only am I backing up to a redundant system but then that is shot off to an online backup. For those of you that don't have alot of data, a solution like Dropbox or even Microsoft's Skydrive would be an alternative solution also. But take it from me ALWAYS BACK UP!

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
You know me, I have none....and since I know you and have worked with you I should know better. Well, I guess I do have a simple backup, via copied data, on my extra internal drives and maybe some on old hard drives I have replaced. I really should 'clean up" my backup and do a better job.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I don't have any offsite backup. I do have most important files backed up on an external drive, and a number of semi-important files are on Skydrive and/or dropbox (depends when/where I want them synced), and mostly I have machines backup to my media center PC. On the media center I have 4 x 2TB drives in a RAID 5 configuration, giving me 5.5 TB total of storage and if a drive fails I can recover. This is used for recording shows, storing movies as I rip them to digital formats and for back ups. One thing I've not setup, but plan to setup is the File History stuff in Win 8 and also point this to do it's backup/version tracking on a network share hosted on the media center.

Exile

Canadian bacon
Members
Faith...since '98.

*Knocks on wood*

Although, I do have a 1TB WD external that I use to keep my main hard drives squeaky clean.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Almost done with my online backup first initial upload. Got about one day left for it to finish. Overall it has worked great, plus in the back of my mind I know everything is protected now. Took just a little over two weeks for around 500gigs.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Almost done with my online backup first initial upload. Got about one day left for it to finish. Overall it has worked great' date=' plus in the back of my mind I know everything is protected now. Took just a little over two weeks for around 500gigs.

[/quote']

Lots of data. Anyone that has a monthly data cap would probably be paying quite the monthly bill after that much uploading

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Let us know what you think of it jmanz when you get it in. Also good for you for finally getting something.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
Let us know what you think of it jmanz when you get it in. Also good for you for finally getting something.
I might have to wrap it up and put it under the tree so I have at least one present to open on Christmas.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Jamnz, any update on your external? What do you think of it? What kinda of software did it come with for backup? Last time I was around a Seagate it came with memeo. Do they still use this?

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
Haven't even messed with the software yet, just manually backed up my stuff. I'll check that out and get back to you.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Switched over to the built in backup here at work for Windows 10, was using a Seagate backup solution, but once the drive got full it would just stop. At least Windows 10 has the ability to override it's self when full.