Thinking about getting back into Astronomy

Think today after watching a few Youtube videos on how to use my laser collimator I pretty sure I finally understand it. I went home and lunch and lined things up way better.

I took this one last night just using my cell phone hand held. So I think I will move away from a DSLR to my Iphone camera.

http://imgur.com/glavZTd.jpg

Got my Bob's Knobs in the mail today and got them installed. Pretty easy to do just remove one at a time and screw the new ones in. I did have to re-collimate it though afterwards though. Not that big of a deal and it allowed me to try out the knobs. Makes it so much more easy to adjust them instead of entering a little Allen key each time. Highly recommend then for anyone with a telescope.

Broke out the telescope for a little bit tonight. The sky is amazing here tonight! Full Milky Way out. I ended the night looking at the Double Clusters they are amazing!

Did anyone catch the aurora borealis the last two days. I hear a lot of people talking about them, but haven't seen them myself. I was even out a little bit last night too (just not late enough I don't think).

Ordered a 32mm eyepiece.

Celestron_93323_Omni_32mm_Eyepiece_1_25_285669.jpg

I have been getting excited. The star cluster "Pleiades" is starting to come into view this time of year. I have been waiting all summer. Now if I could only get a clear night sky.

Orionid meteor shower happens tonight.

Look up late tonight, October 20, and you will be treated to a veritable fusillade of meteors hurled by the phantom limbs of Halley's comet. The Orionid meteor shower has been active in the night sky for the past couple of days, and it will continue blasting streaks of light for a few days yet. Tonight, however, is the big night, when the shower peaks and thus puts on the best show. If the sky is clear and the light pollution in your area low, you might catch up to 20 meteors per hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget tomorrow evening will be the peak of the "Super Moon".

I missed the super Moon last night. It was to cloudy here. I did get to see it early this morning which was pretty cool. Did anyone else get a clear shot of it last night? I really wanted to pull my telescope out for it.

Looking forward to warmer evenings. Been having a craving to pull my beast back out.

I'm surprised there's been no chatter here or the paranormal area about NASA's announcement yesterday of finding the 7 planets relatively nearby that likely support life.

I'm surprised there's been no chatter here or the paranormal area about NASA's announcement yesterday of finding the 7 planets relatively nearby that likely support life.
I just had to laugh at that since just like 1 day before the Trump Administration announced they were cutting funding to NASA.This is what I think went down...

"Hey Frank Trump just cut our budget." "Oh crap how am I gonna get that new boat this year?" "Just tell them we found some Earth like planets super far away, they will never know the difference" Proceeding by high fives.

Well it's that time of the year again. Just broke out the telescope tonight. Still warm out. Looked at Jupiter tonight. You can see the storm belts and it's moons. Spent probably an hour out tonight. It's so relaxing.

I ordered a set of planetary filters. With Jupiter being out I would like to see a little more detail on the planet's surface.

Back