Yes, robots really are about to take your jobs

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Hate to agree with him but Bill is right.

Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates isn’t going to sugarcoat things: The increasing power of automation technology is going to put a lot of people out of work. Business Insider reports that Gates gave a talk at the American Enterprise Institute think tank in Washington, DC this week and said that both governments and businesses need to start preparing for a future where lots of people will be put out of work by software and robots.

“Software substitution, whether it’s for drivers or waiters or nurses… it’s progressing,� Gates said. “Technology over time will reduce demand for jobs, particularly at the lower end of skill set… 20 years from now, labor demand for lots of skill sets will be substantially lower. I don’t think people have that in their mental model.�

As for what governments should do to prevent social unrest in the wake of mass unemployment, the Microsoft cofounder said that they should basically get on their knees and beg businesses to keep employing humans over algorithms. This means perhaps eliminating payroll and corporate income taxes while also not raising the minimum wage so that businesses will feel comfortable employing people at dirt-cheap wages instead of outsourcing their jobs to an iPad.

And it’s not just “low-skilled� workers who will have to worry about automation. As Business Insider points out, The Economist earlier this year predicted that high-paying jobs such as accountants, real estate sales agents and commercial pilots would all lose their jobs to software within the next 20 years.
Link

Last edited by a moderator:

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I want to share some food for thought and something I believe in. Imagine a society where we get past this "hump" and have automation that provides all our humans needs for food, water, shelter, etc.. which is very realistic. Why worry about jobs, we have robotics that do all this for us and we have more leisure time and less stress and desperation to make ends meet. Yet human minds are corrupt and there are always those that want to have all the power and control just to scratch that itch. Also there are people who just like to do bad things.

Another reason to counter what I said above is that there is always a need for a job that counters something out there. It's a endless loop, kind of like more lawyers needs for more imaginary written law text that governs senseless things. We are inefficient, we focus on unnecessary things.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
We all would love a robot world like you saw in the Jetsons or what people from the 50's imagined the 2000's would be like. But these robots like you said are going to take away from not contribute to society. America barely has any jobs left as it is.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
My hope and main point would be that realistically, we are on the verge of creating automation to fulfilling first all our needs, then having entertainment/leisure without much work done by us as an individual. But it's up us on how we want to live and what we make of the time, and some people don't do that well.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
In essence, what I think will happen is not a good outcome for a while to come, 100-200 years from now even. Our society will be a more than ever dependent on the foundation of what we built it on. Over population, along with out of work people will multiply the many issues we have today. But over time, through natural recourse I suppose, we will see things iron themselves out, but just to start it's cycle all over again. Why? Because of the very thing that brought us this advanced civilization...ourselves.

Remember, a sane man has the power to make himself insane without outside influence...

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Honestly man there is no way we will make it another 100-200 years. Honestly I am surprised that we made it past 2012.

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
I heard it this morning, the robots and software AI will take our jobs. They'll build our houses and grow our food. We'll be able to take the time to cook and eat our 6 diet friendly meals a day. Everyone will be able to do yoga and walk for half an hour a day.

In the robots efficiency, they will put other robots out of work. What will the outmoded robots do?

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
One word: Skynet.

Actually this deserves a topic on it's own, but two things that are discussed out of sci-fi, and that's a zombie apocalypse and a robot takeover. The zombie theory actually is plausible due to a spreadable disease which turns people into disfigured rotted corpses without a conscious mind, but still actually alive.

The robot take over can become real when robotics becomes advanced enough to do several things, one main thing being fully advanced artificial intelligence and self replication (meaning they can build anything including themselves). With 3D printing on the rise, and 4D printing coming, the reality is more and more each passing day.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
One word: Skynet....

The robot take over can become real when robotics becomes advanced enough to do several things, one main thing being fully advanced artificial intelligence and self replication (meaning they can build anything including themselves). With 3D printing on the rise, and 4D printing coming, the reality is more and more each passing day.
I'd assume in many factories today that there are robots building other robots, possibly even their replacements. Aside from replication, the biggest hurdle here is more a true intelligence in comparison to AI as you mentioned. AI by definition pretty much means they are only capable of doing what they have been programmed to do. Until they are able to programmatically program themselves (a.k.a learn) they'll never be able to do something that they are not instructed to do.

Oh well, hopefully when SkyNet shows up it decides to run on Azure ;)

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I meant self-learning, not necessarily AI, but there will be nations that will want to build killer robots for war just like drones. All it takes is a program bug, and they will start shooting down your door and all inside.

Can you make a 3D machine print a 3D machine?
Why yes, you probably can. When 3D printers are able to print from all raw materials; all polymer, metal, and such can be printed.

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
I'd assume in many factories today that there are robots building other robots, possibly even their replacements. Aside from replication, the biggest hurdle here is more a true intelligence in comparison to AI as you mentioned. AI by definition pretty much means they are only capable of doing what they have been programmed to do. Until they are able to programmatically program themselves (a.k.a learn) they'll never be able to do something that they are not instructed to do.
Oh well, hopefully when SkyNet shows up it decides to run on Azure ;)
New meaning to "Blue Screen of Death"

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I see this moving in real fast in our restaurant environments soon. I think your going to see alot of automated ordering machine that will eliminate employees. Plus alot of table ordering soon also that will eliminate waiters/waitresses.

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
I see this moving in real fast in our restaurant environments soon. I think your going to see alot of automated ordering machine that will eliminate employees. Plus alot of table ordering soon also that will eliminate waiters/waitresses.
I had a similar idea before MS came out with that tabletop surface thing that was supposed to change the world of table top gaming.

OTOH

I think it was Minneapolis we had a lay over in, they have a section of tables and counters where you could order from the ipad or just sit at. We ordered from the deli and sat though. So one day.

OTOOH (third hand?)

I don't see it being a total replacement anytime soon. Our local restaurant just got the first set of new menus in the 6 years I have been here. I guess you can only *not* wash them so many times.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
You wont see a wide spread to fast they will start with larger test cities first. Then once a chain sees the savings (wages/insurances) then they will push out nationwide. McDonalds/Burger King/Wendys/etc.

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
I concur. I think it would be cool in a bar/pub though. I wouldn't have to wait for a waitress to not notice me and then have to walk up to the bar myself. Also it seems like a neat way to track consumption. Could result in a discount for the bar owners insurance if they were tracking numbers of drinks per person per hour.

They could also track what beers are selling. Flash sales. Log into your beer/wine tasting diary. All sorts of stuff.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
I soap boxed so hard in a reply to this picture. I deleted it since it made me feel angry and mean writing it. Suffice to say someone still has to bring out the food and drinks. If this helps the system so I get a quality experience, I am ok with that, but I'm not paying extra for the experience.

All of our restaurants in town are understaffed. Having these won't change that.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
It's just a scare to keep people at low wages. But unfortunately whether you like it or not it is coming and I would say soon. Next ten years I think some of your big chains will all be self serve.