PS4 review...in progress

C Pav

Reaction score
I have only opened the box and felt the control so this will be a review in progress. No games that I am interested in yet as well as no time is why I have yet to hook it up. Almost have buyers remorse.

I only held the controller and got a feel for it. It is a big change from their past controllers and sure has a new feel to it with added features I have yet to even learn about. Now for the quality of it just from the feel. It feels just as light weight as the PS3 controller. I know @nodle says it feels heavier and better quality due to the weight and build but I don't get that sense from it. Of course I have yet to really use it to play a game or anything so will have to update it. My rankings of controllers is I still prefer the old 360 controller. I probably just have to continue to use the One and PS4 controller more to get used to them and get a better feel for them after long term use.

The system is smaller than the XBox One and smaller than the old PS3 I have. I don't have the newer models of the PS3 to compare it to though but the size seems nice for the power they state it has.

I will post further when I hook it up(after figuring out where to put it) and try the UI. I probably won't get any games until MLB 14 comes out next month. Not sure if I will get PS+ either.

Well you just need to break it in. Load up some demos like Trine and get a feel for the controller. It's kinda neat how you can move objects or swipe things using the touch portion of your controller. I think it was a big difference over there old controller myself.

I'm surprised you didn't notice the difference between controllers as far as weight goes. The PS4 controller feels heavier to me.

Heavier than the PS3 yes but I meant heavier and sturdier feeling compared to the XBox One controller. They both feel similar weight and build wise in my opinion.

I guess I better get a gram scale to weigh them then follow that up with a drop test from a tower. Then I can do a thermite test.

I guess I better get a gram scale to weigh them then follow that up with a drop test from a tower. Then I can do a thermite test.
Do you have a tax id? You could "test" things for people as a business. Write it off as a business expense.

UPDATE:

I finally unboxed and setup the PS4 last night since I bough MLB 14: The Show for it. I love the size and design of the system. Very small compared to the XBox One. Also surprising due to the power brick is built into the system compared to the One. It's a minor gripe but I could do without the large power brick that the 360 and One have. Setup was quick and simple but did require a update before I could setup my user from PSN. The update downloaded and installed very quickly though so wasn't a long wait to get started. At first I was not sure how to turn on the system because I was tryign to turn it on with the controller. Once I turned on the system from the console itself it says to plug in the USB cable to the controller and system to Sync them.

I have yet to open the game I got so that will be next so I can get a feel for the controller during game play. It has a nice feel but the triggers are still "different" to me as are the analog sticks. I am still a fan of the 360 and the One's controller but I just need to get some game use on it. The UI is very similar to the PS3 and is nice and smooth as well as easy to navigate. One minor annoyance with the system is the click it makes when turning on and off. At first one might think it's something wrong with it but it's normal. The headset on the ONE is way better than what the PS4 comes with. I do like the fact that the controller for the PS$(and PS3) have the rechargeable battery built in unlike the ONE(and 360) where you have to buy the play and charge kit separately. Only plus side for that is once the battery goes I don't have to replace the whole controller with the Microsoft systems whereas the SOny systems I would. Only other point I want to make is I know the price difference but would have been nice to have a game and the camera all packed in with the system to give us something more right out of the box. I know the original XBox One didn't have a game and was priced $50 more than the PS4 and the PS4 has been and is selling like crazy but with the One I felt the price drop, addition of Titanfall as well as coming with the Kinect gave me a lot more right from the box without having to spend additional money.

Initial costs breakdown like this:

XBox One - $450(plus tax so $475 about) I get the system, a game and the Kinect(camera etc).

PS4- $400(tax etc so more) I get the system. To add a game it's $60 plus tax more. Camera would be $60 more. That adds up to more than $520.

I know the camera/Kinect is not needed but with the One it's actually nice to have in some instances like scanning in codes, recognizing the user to login and for voice purposes. Not to mention games that will use motion controls. To me just seems the value of the One, when it had that sale and game bundle, was a better deal. Long term system durability and games will be the difference maker to me though so will just enjoy both for what they offer.

I have to somewhat agree with you about power bricks. They are a little annoying, but they are also done for longevity. The PSU is a big source of heat and on the Xbox it is left external to reduce system heat. It's also why if you watch a teardown of the PS4 they have a monstrous (and likely quiet running - for the first few months at least) fan helping dissipate that heat off the PSU that's internal.

I have to somewhat agree with you about power bricks. They are a little annoying, but they are also done for longevity. The PSU is a big source of heat and on the Xbox it is left external to reduce system heat. It's also why if you watch a teardown of the PS4 they have a monstrous (and likely quiet running - for the first few months at least) fan helping dissipate that heat off the PSU that's internal.
Right I didn't go into detail on my opinion of the pros and cons about that.Also I need to edit my post. I said Original XBox One $50 more and should be $100 more than the PS4. I also forgot to mention the game bundle and the $450 price for the One was a short running special...as far as I know.

I had fun with @jmanz PS4. For the love of God get the Trine demo. I am still waiting for more games to get released but it does seem like the PS4 is winning at the moment. Plus it's $100 cheaper. The re-designed controller was a huge improvement if you ask me. I think once you start playing your fooseball game you may like it even more. The graphics on @jmanz basketball game was quit impressive.

You suck at math
Umm no the regular normal price is $499.99 for the Xbox one. The normal price for the ps4 is $399.99. So lets do the math here:$499.99
-$399.99

= $100 less.

The MSRP is one thing, the current price is another. At the end of the day neither matter in comparison to value for the $$ which could be argued endlessly since each person may/may not like either the bundled game(s) or accessories. For you maybe it's $100 less. If I were to buy a PS4 it would apparently cost me at least $20 more than my Xbox One console did as I would need to pick up at least one game and the camera accessory. It'll happen some day, but not real soon.

I had fun with @jmanz PS4. For the love of God get the Trine demo. I am still waiting for more games to get released but it does seem like the PS4 is winning at the moment. Plus it's $100 cheaper. The re-designed controller was a huge improvement if you ask me. I think once you start playing your fooseball game you may like it even more. The graphics on @jmanz basketball game was quit impressive.
Oh I wanted to play fooseball as well as baseball but lets talk game installs. I put in the disk and it takes a bit to read the disk. Then it shows up under wherever in the main menu which I still am getting used to. It has to load and install some files before I can start the game. Finally it says start so I assume it's ready to play. It starts, plays the opening scene adn then gets to the press "options" screen. Why did they ever change the select and start buttons to these new stupid buttons? Same goes for the XBox but they always had strange buttons instead of just start and select. Anyway it sits at a screen saying the games saves automatically at times and don't turn off the system. No big deal I thought since every version of The Show has this. Well it sat there for like 5 minutes or more. I could here the disk or hard drive doing something and I thought it was frozen. I waited and eventually it got to the main menu. It had a small tutorial on the new menus so read that and played around with the different menus.I finally was ready to try a mini mode of home run derby, I start it, select my players and stadium and it says game must fully be installed to continue. I look up and finally see in the upper left corner an instal bar and let's just say it's a LONG and LARGE install. I fired up my XBox One to play while I waited. Well I waited and waited until I was ready for bed. The install was only at 65%. I shut it off and went to bed. I turned it on this morning to let it install some more and only got to maybe 80% before I had to leave for work. I guess it's just a large game but sure woudl be nice to be able to play a game instead of watching it install. I didn't see any option to load it from the main PS4 menu either. May have to read and look itno that more but at least the XBox One it loads before you enter the game and you can easily see the progress from the main menu. Like i said I still have to learn the menu structure of the PS4 but seems complicated already.

Last point is the controller. Still not afan of the feel of it. The triggers seem strange and are farther to reach then they should be with the longer controller and how your hands naturally hold it. I also prefer the joysticks on the XBox. Just seems a more natural feel. Again I need to get some use in a game on it before I can make a final judgement though.

I have read that it is close to a 50 GB install. I haven't done it yet but I will allow some time when I do.

Lol dam thats a huge install. Companies really need to stop doing this. I can see frustration in this. Your all jacked to play, but then have to wait a day. :confused: Here's an idea, start releasing games on a flash drive or some custom memory modular to make things faster. Flash memory is cheap enough these day and in a way probably more cheaper to manufacture than a disc.

Lol dam thats a huge install. Companies really need to stop doing this. I can see frustration in this. Your all jacked to play, but then have to wait a day. :confused: Here's an idea, start releasing games on a flash drive or some custom memory modular to make things faster. Flash memory is cheap enough these day and in a way probably more cheaper to manufacture than a disc.
Shazzle! I can see an active gamer filling up there drive. Here is a list from 4 months agohttp://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Actual_Hard_Drive_Space

Distributed computing

For every game you share on your "playbox" you get "upload credit" for every "ratio increase" you get credit towards next purchase. Think monitized torrents. That gets the game out to the public and reduces costs. Also, everyone could "preorder" and play at the same time. The console company could gauge interest/commitment to multiplayer gaming and be ready on launch day. Think Steam preloading feature.

Not sure I understand the WWE thing, whether its just some joke I missed, or something you are touting is on PS4. Anyway, if the latter, you can get the WWE network app on the Xbox as well

Not sure I understand the WWE thing, whether its just some joke I missed, or something you are touting is on PS4. Anyway, if the latter, you can get the WWE network app on the Xbox as well
Well I meant if @C Pav starts bitching about his PS4, he always has that since he loves wrestling.

Back