Pi-hole - Network wide Ad blocking

I think I am going to do this project next. Watched a few how-to videos last night. Seems simple enough.

So I got this up and running tonight. A few things to take note. When you go to set your DNS in your router make sure it's on your LAN side and not your WAN side. I almost made that mistake. Overall it was fairly easy. watch the video above. I didn't set it up for SSH, since it's fairly close to me and all I need is the gui interface which I can hit by IP anyways. I tested it on our phones and other devices. I was even able to uninstall my web browser ad-block. The downside is I think I might need to buy another pi for my Retro-Pi now lol.

So I got this up and running tonight. A few things to take note. When you go to set your DNS in your router make sure it's on your LAN side and not your WAN side. I almost made that mistake. Overall it was fairly easy. watch the video above. I didn't set it up for SSH, since it's fairly close to me and all I need is the gui interface which I can hit by IP anyways. I tested it on our phones and other devices. I was even able to uninstall my web browser ad-block. The downside is I think I might need to buy another pi for my Retro-Pi now lol.
How do you turn it off quickly when needed?  There's so many sites that detect ad-blockers now and stop you from viewing content unless you white list them...  I suppose the answer is to ignore those sites, then again no ads = no revenue = dead websites

How do you turn it off quickly when needed?
It has a built in whitelist & blacklist. You can quickly hit the IP you set and add them. The gui is very informative as well.
screenshot-pi-hole-25-percent-blocked-requests.png

then again no ads = no revenue = dead websites
Or you just pay out of pocket like I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I got tire of walking over to my Rasberry pi and plugging in a hdmi cable so I set up SSH. Way easier to manage. Easy to enable as well.

@Davidc you need to build yourself one of these.

It's kinda cool how it slaps on top of the Pi. Now if we could find one that had a 12AT7/ECC81 tube but, I would imagine the size and power requirements would skyrocket. 

So I got my new router setup last night, but ran into one problem. My pi-hole was on the wrong IP-scheme and had a static ip on a different network.

Old: 192.168.0

New: 192.168.1

So I had to SSH into it and run pi-hole -r,  this will re-configure pi-hole. But for some reason mine still wouldn't update etc. So basically I started from scratch, new raspberry pi OS image and re-run the whole install of pi-hole over again. After that it worked flawless, pointed my DNS to it and everything is working fine. I am leaving these commands here, maybe more as a note for myself in case I run into a problem in the future.

pihole -r = Reconfigure

sudo raspi-config = Configure Rasberry Pi OS

#1 - change admin password

#2 - option #5 enable SSH

#3 - run ifconfig = displays IP address to SSH into.

#4 SSH to IP, enter username/pass then paste:     curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash

#5 make sure to setup to static IP for command console.

#6 sudo reboot

If it had a lid; would it be: "shut your Pi-Hole?"

Note to self for future:

If logs are showing spinning circles make sure to flush logs then do reboot, logs will then display properly.

Back