Running local web server

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I would post a couple of links to anyone wanting to test a local web server on your local machine.

The first one that most people are pretty familiar with is XAMPP

The second one is MAMP

Just thought I would post some links for some of you that might want to play locally for testing.

Does fluxoid run on something like either one of these?  

I ran a server on the LAN from my ipod at work.  That was cool.  I did it, then lost interest.  Should have kept at.  I'd be a hairy wizard by now.

It likely could run on something similar to them, but it would be a custom configured version or is more likely direct setups of the same technologies that these things bundle.  They are just pre-packaged things that are bundling the Apache web server with some add-ons or other tech, like PHP and MySQL.

You could just install Apache on your own and add in what you wanted as well, these just kind of fool proof it for a quick dev environment that isn't going to be public facing.  I wouldn't want to use one of these prebuilt things meant for a dev to host a real world site necessarily.

Another web server option if you have a windows box laying around is IIS.  If you develop with visual studio you don't even really need a web server to test, it has a hostable IIS core that will just spin up to let you test when you want and isn't running outside of that time.  Most recently any hobby projects I've worked on I've used this tech and deployed things to Azure  <-- though I can't recommend this for most people's hobby things since there would be a cost, if I didn't have a monthly allowance on there I would probably be just running IIS on a machine in my basement to deploy to for access away from my dev environment 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol no Flux doesn't run on these. But you typically could. These like @ndboarder said are mostly for testing purposes. I have been using one to test web dev for websites. I just wanted to list them for future purposes since MAMP was new to me.

Back