Project - Don't let the wife know #2

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So just like this time every year, I am starting to get the itch to build another computer. Or at least upgrade my current once. I just did this a year ago, so I am fairly up to date, but wouldn't mind getting a new case etc. I am currently looking at a Factual Meshify 2 case or their new Define 7. Considering going with a 'XL' size for plenty of room. Thinking of going with all Noctua fans as well.

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-2-xl-dark-tempered-glass/black/

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-7-xl-dark-tempered-glass/black/

Might do a new motherboard as well. My CPU/Memory/Power supply/Video card are still good.

Last edited by a moderator:
As many watercoolers as I have, I think I will be going back to air now.

I don't know if any of you have looked at video cards for PCs lately, but holy cow the market is out of control. First off you can't even find any, and if you can they are double the MSRP for them. They say it's caused by all the scalpers and the rising of Bitcoin once again. It's insane! :eek:

I don't know if any of you have looked at video cards for PCs lately, but holy cow the market is out of control. First off you can't even find any, and if you can they are double the MSRP for them. They say it's caused by all the scalpers and the rising of Bitcoin once again. It's insane! :eek:
I've been watching them. The real prices are just regular price. 3090's expensive as heck, 3080 isn't cheap either. The MSRP on all of them recently went up a good $50+ on every card I've seen due to tariffs I guess. The only places I've seen having them for sale above MSRP are places taking advantage of the limited supply. Bitcoin, maybe, but all the new cards are still new, they come into stock and sell out quick. Same as the new consoles. So far it seems like places get a restock on a select few cards maybe a couple times a month. I could've had a 3090 at one point, but not wanting to throw that much money out the window. Saw the 3080 I wanted in stock the other day, got into the site's queue system, but couldn't get one into my cart fast enough when time came

Are you going to go with Nvidia again @ndboarder ? I was actually thinking of switching over to try an AMD video card this time. They have come a long way with their drivers.

Are you going to go with Nvidia again @ndboarder ? I was actually thinking of switching over to try an AMD video card this time. They have come a long way with their drivers.
They can come a long way, that's fine. I'm not going to spend on an expensive graphics card from 2nd best just to see how they are doing... I'd still build with an Intel processor too......

I like Intel when they are in the lead, but why throw away the extra money for less performance? AMD chips right now will run laps around Intel for about half the cost (if you can find one to buy). But I will agree that Nvidia right now is the leader over AMD as far as graphics cards are concerned.

So I had no idea that video card pricing was this out of control. I purchased my last video card about 3 years ago. I paid about $320 for it, which at the time I thought was overpriced, just went to Newegg and pulled up my same card. It now retails for $799.00 :oops: You should look up the prices on the old 1060. This is insane! Guess they have tariffs on video cards now as well. Thinking about seeling my old 960gtx, since I can get more for it than I originally paid. We are in dark times.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/prices-for-graphics-cards-and-motherboards-go-up-as-us-tariffs-kick-back

Last edited by a moderator:
So video cards I just read this morning, are now 50% over MRSP right now. :eek:

5v6nr82do1h61.jpg

I saw yesterday on Newegg, you could register to enter a lottery to then be given an option to be able to order a video card, which is overpriced and a 6 year old video card will out perform. Insane.

c9y2o73gc3m61.jpg

3hsiikj4yy071.jpg

Back