Amazon to launch free, ad-supported media streaming service

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if this is the future, ad supported tv? Oh wait television is already that way. I wonder if Netflix will do the same? Maybe with ads without prime? Without ads with prime?

Amazon.com Inc. plans a free, advertising-supported streaming television and music-video service, a departure from its strategy of offering video only to members of its $99-a-year Prime service, according to people familiar with the matter.The new service, which could launch in the coming months, likely will feature original series and may include licensed programming, these people said.
Source

or ad-supported with prime, you know, like cable TV where we pay them for the service and still get commercials

Shots fired! Some people think Apple should swoop in and buy Netflix to take on Amazon.

All online video streaming services need to turn things around as far as I can tell. Back when Netflix was disc + streaming was the hay day of digital streaming. New releases were available to stream right around the time of DVD release, they had a ton of movie content and so forth.

Now, they are more TV than movie and new releases take forever to show up.

I've not used Amazon's streaming much, but their selection doesn't seem any better, aside from you can at least choose to rent a newer movie even if not streamable for free.

Hulu pretty much sucks, ads no matter what, pay if you want to use it from devices other than a PC. Supposedly you get more episodes or whole seasons paid, but in reality not so much. You still get about the same selection and how far back in the current season you can go is limited by the network that airs the show originally.

Hulu sucks even when you pay you STILL get ads. I like Amazon they do have different things than Netflix, plus you can rent new releases right from the same menu. You can't do this on Netflix. My biggest gripe with both is they need to push more new content. It comes to a point when you get caught up and there is nothing new to watch.

I have both Netflix and Amazon. They both seem to have much of the same content but I prefer Netflix's layout better. Just seems better organized to this point.

I have both Netflix and Amazon. They both seem to have much of the same content but I prefer Netflix's layout better. Just seems better organized to this point.
It's based off the device. Each one has their own layout.

I prefer Netflix on both PS4 and Wii to Amazon's offerings on same devices.

It's based off the device. Each one has their own layout.
I thought they were all the same by now? *shrug* I should have watched some amazon tonight.

Back