Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Working through job recruitment company.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I was offered a job with an IT oilfield company, but goes through a job recruitment company, which is my first time doing it that way. I don't like the thought of recruitment companies because they are a middle man and you don't get good benefits, if at all. I negotiated out a good pay I think, but there is no paid vacation. My health benefits start after two months and a 401k would be a whole year.

My base pay is great, but my previous jobs gave me 23 extra days of PTO a year, 30 including holidays which is great and can be paid out if not used. I also don't get any cell phone, but can reimburse if used for company purposes (what IT job doesn't).

What do you think would be a fair pay (rough estimate) being one person for a company of 70-80 people. Travel would be expected once every two weeks. They prefer I come in at 7am working till 4pm.

I feel I'm a great fit for the job requirements, I just don't feel so comfortable about the rest.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
My coworker was offered the same job as you. In fact I think he was offered it before you a week ago and he was set to turn in his two weeks in yesterday. Once he found out it was though another company he turned it down. Also the health benefits would had cost him where it's free here. It was really good pay he said and would had kept it if they just would had been with the company and not a third party.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
So are we talking contract for hire type work? As in you work for the recruitment company and sell your services to the oil company? That's what I'm gathering, and I did that type of work once. I worked for a contract for hire agency in Fargo and through them worked for a couple other companies in town. The same company also deals with my current employer, though I never worked through one for the other. What I do know is that working for the recruitment company had little benefit.

I thought my pay was great (and it was in comparison to my previous jobs), until one guy at the client company to me (unprompted and even though he wasn't supposed to) what they were paying per hour for my services. They were making pretty good money off of me. Granted I did get some benefits and such on top of my base salary, but they were getting about double what they were paying me. Even after benefits and such I'm thinking they made a pretty penny on my work.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I will work for the recruitment company but just servicing the one oil field company. They tried to start me at $25, but I said $30 and after some negotiation, got it. I have worked with others that were contracted and I do understand the recruiter makes almost double, but that's for certain HR employable expenses the company doesn't have to worry about, and of course profit.

So, do you even think $30 is not enough?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I will work for the recruitment company but just servicing the one oil field company. They tried to start me at $25, but I said $30 and after some negotiation, got it. I have worked with others that were contracted and I do understand the recruiter makes almost double, but that's for certain HR employable expenses the company doesn't have to worry about, and of course profit.So, do you even think $30 is not enough?
It all depends on the work. It's decent money though. Look at it this way it's a job you may like it and you may not. Won't know until you try.

Start a cheese making company.

;)

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I don't want to sell myself short, especially the disadvantages going through a recruiting company.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I'd go for it. Not much a person can do about who is hiring for the position. If you don't like it you can always keep looking and if you do like it, then it's a possible foot in the door. At least I know with the one I did that some places I worked (fairly lengthy contracts) there was possibility that if they found they needed to permanently add an employee you could be hired directly by the company at some point. Mostly though they had me filling in at places for a few months at a time where their IT staff was over burdened and once I helped get their backlogs down it was onto the next assignment.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
No paid vacation would be a tough one to swallow in this day and age. Myself, I would need more compensation for that but if you need a job, you can always work there while looking for something better.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
i agree that it's tough without better benefits but the pay is great. You can always keep looking for something better while making good money to boot.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I really don't know what to do right now. I haven't signed anything yet, but was offered the job with salary we discussed. I got to thinking, I'm sure they could go up even more, but I don't want to go back again on the wage issue. But I know once you are set in a wage, it's hard to get increases, as most places don't give individual performance increases much anymore.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
If you want to move East, I know a large tech company that has multiple openings..... Starting @ or above discussed wage with 3 weeks PTO and benefits, including personal performance increases and all that jazz over time

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
After looking over the contract, detailed information, and thinking it over, I'm going to reply back declining the position due to total salary. My references (whole higher Administrative staff at hospital), and my local interviewer like me a lot. If a prominent oil company wants me as their sole man, the recruiting company can go up some ($3-$5/hour more). If not, I'm not afraid of walking.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
After looking over the contract, detailed information, and thinking it over, I'm going to reply back declining the position due to total salary. My references (whole higher Administrative staff at hospital), and my local interviewer like me a lot. If a prominent oil company wants me as their sole man, the recruiting company can go up some ($3-$5/hour more). If not, I'm not afraid of walking.
That's basically what the other guy said here too. If was just working straight for the company itself it would be a whole other story.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
One question I never asked. Is this an actual hourly position, where if you are putting in long hours and all that fun you'd still be making $$$ or is it a hypothetical $/hour based on $wage / 2080 hours (8 hours a day * 5 days a week * 52 weeks a year)? If hourly and chances were you'd be putting in OT, then there's always that extra to consider too.

At big tech company, the wage is salaried (if you start high enough), though the number of long days or overtime (at least on the teams I've been on) are very few and far between.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
It's an hourly position with no expected overtime. They would pay time and a half, but if you put in more hours one day, they encourage to equal out 40 in the end. They also don't provide a cell phone or anything. At the hospital, I was paid hourly too with lots of overtime hours due to always being short staffed and being on call 75% of the time in a whole year. I also received 30 days paid vacation, cell phone, stipend for my local leadership role, and wellness program. That equals out to a lot, and I was even considered at the mid level of the pay scale if even going by a desktop support role. However, I heard of people getting paid a lot less.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
Well, discussions fell through, as they wouldn't budge much more. At the hospital, the other IT employees were contracted and I understood the mess of what limited benefits and the limited power per recruiting agency contracts can cause. Also after reviewing the contract, it goes to 6 months initially, you have limited power as they state they can terminate you when they want for any reason. Also, I would be the sole System Administrator for a good company who expects to expand even further in the near future.