What's new

Work hours need to be flipped

nodle

Administrator
Does anyone think it's strange that we goto work for 8 hours a day and bu the time you get home you get maybe 4 hours to yourself before you have to goto bed and then goto work for another 8 hours? Shouldn't it be we should have to go to work for 4 hours then have 8 hours off?

ryanator

Yes, I agree. Most people accept that 8 hours of work a day minimum is the way it just is and we are either feeling lazy or guilty if we don't meet those standards. However, there are books are articles that support shorter work days and justify it. We are a very complicated and wasteful society that has very inefficient use of our work in most fields.

ndboarder

Like perusing web forums when you should be working. I'm all for shorter work days, or more realistically more required vacation, but I don't understand 8 work and 4 at home before sleep. Sure, I work 8-5, sometimes later, but I have far more than 4 hours to myself a day. Granted I guess I only drive 10 blocks, so it's not like I have travel time to worry about

nodle

Administrator
Like perusing web forums when you should be working. I'm all for shorter work days, or more realistically more required vacation, but I don't understand 8 work and 4 at home before sleep. Sure, I work 8-5, sometimes later, but I have far more than 4 hours to myself a day. Granted I guess I only drive 10 blocks, so it's not like I have travel time to worry about
It's not the travel time, it's just how we spend more time at work than at home. That is not right. Stop and think about it. You live only once. You have freedom till roughly 16 years of age. After that most of us get jobs and have to work till retirement or even later. For what maybe 10-20 years then you die? So if you add up all the work hours, you spend most of your life working. I have a problem with this choice in life. Where is my freedom. Oh yes I can be free and not work, but then you can't afford to live. I want more choices in life than this!