Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Windshield Chip Fix

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So we got a small chip in our new windshield a couple of months ago. It's not large and hasn't spread. We have a windshield place that does amazing work fixing them, but I saw that Amazon sells kits. I picked one up and am going to try it myself. I watched a few Youtube videos on it as well. I just need to sun to come out now though because the UV has to dry the resin sheets. Anyone else ever fixed their own?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Nope. Usually take it somewhere that has all the pro tools and experience for the best chance at a good seal and no spread. Though it kinda depends more on the actual chip probably and how clean it is.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
Doesn't your insurance cover chips? I've had all of mine fixed for no charge due to insurance. Leave it to the professionals.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Doesn't your insurance cover chips? I've had all of mine fixed for no charge due to insurance. Leave it to the professionals.
Ours doesn't, he charges $50 for a fix, I can get an entire new windshield for $100. Kit only cost $10.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Fixed the chip in the windshield. Pretty impressed. Resin take about 6 minutes to cure and resin sheet take 20 minutes, I can’t even see chip anymore. :cool:

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
where on earth would you get a windshield replaced for $100? Is that your deductible or cost without insurance

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I did want to mention anyone else that uses one of these kits (most of them are all the same), when you use the resin sheets and let the UV get to them, take a pair of scissors and just cut what you need. I cut mine in half it it was still plenty. Just cut a little more that the crack or chip.