Windows Vista

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Nice screenshots highlighting the new look and some of the new features. Has anyone else tried Vista? I had the first beta installed at one point, but didn't get much of a chance to play with it. Perhaps I'll have to get the latest beta release and do some testing.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Speaking of Vista... has anyone tried IE7? I just put beta 2 on my machine last night... my parents were at some site that already required it in order to watch one of their video clips, I found it odd that anyone would require something still in beta, but then again most of Google's services have been stuck in beta forever

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Does it have tab browsing added to it now?
Yeah, I had tried the first beta release which also had tabbed browsing. In beta 1 it was problematic because if you closed the main window it closed all the tabs without warning, but I see in beta 2 it behaves like firefox.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Does it have tab browsing added to it now?
Yeah' date=' I had tried the first beta release which also had tabbed browsing. In beta 1 it was problematic because if you closed the main window it closed all the tabs without warning, but I see in beta 2 it [b']behaves like firefox.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I was just talking about this, it seems they took widgets from the Mac, tab browsing from Firefox, and the new media player kinda looks like Itunes.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
And then there's the long story and even a movie about how Gates stole the GUI concept from Apple a long time ago.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
And then there's the long story and even a movie about how Gates stole the GUI concept from Apple a long time ago.
"Pirates of Silicon Valley" i think is the movie you are talking about... Interesting movie, I bet Xerox wishes they had kept the technology they had to themselves by now

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I was just talking about this' date=' it seems they took widgets from the Mac, tab browsing from Firefox, and the new media player kinda looks like Itunes.[/quote']
Now hopefully they also follow suit and also start releasing secure and relatively bug free software.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I was just talking about this' date=' it seems they took widgets from the Mac, tab browsing from Firefox, and the new media player kinda looks like Itunes.[/quote']
Now hopefully they also follow suit and also start releasing secure and relatively bug free software.
Keep dreaming :wink:

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Well I don't know for sure how long it's been out, but I just ran across an article which made me aware that MS has released Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor which will check whether your PC is ready for Vista or not.

The article can be found HERE

You can get the upgrade advisor HERE

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ya ran this yesterday. The funny part I was discussing with co-workers yesterday was about how the people around here have finally just started to upgrade to winxp from win98 etc. Then comes a new one. People around here are so out of date. :smt012

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Well I just ran the advisor on my work machine, a Dell something or another with a P4 2.8Ghz, and 1GB of ram, so it isn't anything special. As far as Vista support the advisor claimed a need to upgrade the graphics card (Need more on board RAM for the Aero graphics engine and some other features). As far as vista supporting the hardware it looks like drivers for the Chipset, NIC, Monitor and other hardware would have to be acquired from the manufacturer.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Interesting that they made Beta 2 available to the general public like that. Anyone going to give it a go? I think I'll download and install it one of these days, unfortunately I doubt I'll have much free time until next week.. :(

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Here is a wierd feature called "flip3d"