Racism culture in America

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok first things first, i don't think of myself as a racist, but i was watching this thing on tv about this guy on the radio that said something about a black basket ball team and their "nappy" hair or something? No his show is canceled. I am sure you have seen this latey. Anyways why is it that comedians like Chris Rock and others can say stuff but we can't? Yet they say stuff about white people all the time. They have there own tv channel B.E.T. yet how is that not racist? I means what if we had own own channel W.E.T it would be shut down in a minute. I have meant quite a few black people before that act normal and they are cool, i don't know where i am going with this. But it's kinda had not to be a little racist theses days. I guess the man reason for this is how can they fire a guy like that? I mean what happened to our freedom of speech? Does the door only swing one way?

Ok first things first, i don't think of myself as a racist, but i was watching this thing on tv about this guy on the radio that said something about a black basket ball team and their "nappy" hair or something? No his show is canceled. I am sure you have seen this latey. Anyways why is it that comedians like Chris Rock and others can say stuff but we can't? Yet they say stuff about white people all the time. They have there own tv channel B.E.T. yet how is that not racist? I means what if we had own own channel W.E.T it would be shut down in a minute. I have meant quite a few black people before that act normal and they are cool, i don't know where i am going with this. But it's kinda had not to be a little racist theses days. I guess the man reason for this is how can they fire a guy like that? I mean what happened to our freedom of speech? Does the door only swing one way?
I'll be your "devil's advocate"Chris Rock is black...Thats why he can talk shit about black people.  Also, from what I have seen, he doesn't discrimante he talks shit about everyone. 

Ok, so that didn't last long.

RE: Al Sharpton

Why would the good reverend Sharpton attack Chris Rock?  Even though he isn't as relevant as he was a few years ago, targetting Rock would allienate a large majority of his congregation/political following.  Remember he needs to stay relevant in order for him to be a political player for his party next year and later on if he hopes to run.

RE: Don Imus

He shoulda damn well have known better.  Not only should have known that tasteless jokes are dangerous, but tasteless jokes about women are dangerous.  Nevermind that these women were black, but they are college atheletes who just might be role models in their community.  Again, neverminding they are black, to point out a quality that some or all of them may or not have, is rude.

Did I laugh?  Yup. But more so because I couldn't believe he said it.  That and each time he spoke he got himself in more trouble, to me thats the funniest part... Did you see him with Sharpton?  Imus tried to validate himself as a good person Sharpton responded by saying its not about whether your a good person <snip> Imus replied "I can't get anywhere with you people."  Sharpton replied in shock "You people?!?"  Then Imus knew he was fucked and said "don't give me that jive."  I think that may have been the real point of no return...

But I don't think we should focus on the racism angle here.  This is about excessive political correctness and corporate abandonment.  Imus started his career as a "shock jock"  I googled Imus because I wasn't quite aware that he was fired yet.  first hit on google was: 

Originally considered a shock jock, Imus has turned his show more towards politics and news and has gained public influence as a result.  From: www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036713/ - Apr 10, 2007

MSNBC knew his character and washed their hands when it got ugly.

but jeez who knows...maybe Imus was tired of being safe.  Or he wanted to break some contracts... Didn't Howard Stern raise a rucuss before he went on satellite radio too?

Besides media delivery is evolving.  Maybe he'll just start doing shows on Youtube

Ya i never looked at it that way before. Maybe it was all a publicity stunt and he will get his own talk shown on XM or something. Let's face it, it worked for Howard Stern. He has pushed the limits many times. I guess that is what it takes though to stand out and be noticed though. He may be just sitting back and laughing knowing that his XM contract is being written up as we speak.

Don Imus wasn't trying to be funny.  He's never funny.  I've watched his show in the past a few times.  He's basically an old white guy that thinks he's a cowboy.  He said, "nappy haired hoes" about the Rutgers basketball team probably because he was raised around that kind of talk and didn't really think to much of it at the time.  You're damn right there's freedom of speech.  Only problem is some people don't realize that often there is some kind of punishment or foul cry over what you may say freely.  The things that Don Imus said were racist and sexist, but I don't think he should lose his job over it.  If you don't like what he says, turn the channel.

Back