Who is savvy with web programming

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
I work in desktop support ya know.  I'd like to know some html or java or otherwise web code that I could use to find out details like the os and browser version as well as MAC, IP, default gateway and such.

If you know of a website that does that already, that would be just as handy...

But... It can't be super complex like press this button and then this button...Its gotta be something that your 90yr old grandma can do when she lost her reading classes and is pissed because she can't check her email.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
hmmm... browser version is pretty simple in any web language... now getting their OS, IP, gateway, MAC and all such info could be a little more complicated as this info is usually made inaccessible to protect end users.... although I'm sure there is a way to do it... if today continues to be this boring at work i'll look into it

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well i have seen those little java guys that hold up a sign that says what browser, ip, and os you are running. Is that what you are looking for?

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
Well i have seen those little java guys that hold up a sign that says what browser, ip, and os you are running. Is that what you are looking for?
Forgot about those... Are you nervous in the service? 

Great!  Works for many scenarios I'd encounter.  Many Thanks Sir.  Definately the format I was looking for.  Scenarios where its not specific enough are when the DSL modem is doing the routing or this is a router otherwise in play.  I checked the rest of Aruli's website and found directions to check your MAC, so maybe there isn't a script...hmm.... 

Would also be interested in looking up the default mail program.  If Outlook Express knows its not the default, I wonder if there is anyway for a script to poll the computer to find out what the default email client is.

Thanks

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
For the MAC and default mail client and such, or even default browser you would need a full fledged web application using Java or some .NET thinger using something like C# at least... not even sure if you can look through registry values with them or not either for default programs, and the MAC address from what I saw earlier isn't too simple to get at either.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
For the MAC and default mail client and such, or even default browser you would need a full fledged web application using Java or some .NET thinger using something like C# at least... not even sure if you can look through registry values with them or not either for default programs, and the MAC address from what I saw earlier isn't too simple to get at either.
The mac it would grab would be the mac address of the next hop aka closest router.