Windshield Chip Fix

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So we got a small chip in our new windshield a couple of months ago. It's not large and hasn't spread. We have a windshield place that does amazing work fixing them, but I saw that Amazon sells kits. I picked one up and am going to try it myself. I watched a few Youtube videos on it as well. I just need to sun to come out now though because the UV has to dry the resin sheets. Anyone else ever fixed their own?

Nope. Usually take it somewhere that has all the pro tools and experience for the best chance at a good seal and no spread. Though it kinda depends more on the actual chip probably and how clean it is.

Doesn't your insurance cover chips? I've had all of mine fixed for no charge due to insurance. Leave it to the professionals.

Doesn't your insurance cover chips? I've had all of mine fixed for no charge due to insurance. Leave it to the professionals.
Ours doesn't, he charges $50 for a fix, I can get an entire new windshield for $100. Kit only cost $10.

Fixed the chip in the windshield. Pretty impressed. Resin take about 6 minutes to cure and resin sheet take 20 minutes, I can’t even see chip anymore. :cool:

where on earth would you get a windshield replaced for $100? Is that your deductible or cost without insurance

where on earth would you get a windshield replaced for $100? Is that your deductible or cost without insurance
Deductible

I did want to mention anyone else that uses one of these kits (most of them are all the same), when you use the resin sheets and let the UV get to them, take a pair of scissors and just cut what you need. I cut mine in half it it was still plenty. Just cut a little more that the crack or chip.

I got a nice sized pebble that made a starburst chip with 1/2" crack in my windsheild. I bought the RainX kit from Wal-Mart right away and did the repair. The resin set and scraped off the excess with a razor blade, but I still see the chip and crack the same as before. I heard that this is normal, so I wonder how some people say it's almost invisible after repair?

It depends on the type of chip and how it's damaged. Generally if there isn't a lot of really shattered/crushed glass in the chip, then when air-vacuum is created it will make it nearly disappear. The only thing a person might be able to spot is the small hole filled with resin.

The last one I had repaired (by a service center) was a pretty large spot and a lot of crushed glass was in the impact area, so some of the spread from that disappeared, but there was still a large area that was noticeable because while the resin filled the area there was still mush in it. Basically looks like a big dull spot in the corner. Either way, these are more likely to spread in teh future too.

Bottom line sounds like if you did a repair and at some point it starts spreading again, time for a new windshield.

Back