What's your favorite *nix distro?

ndboarder

Reaction score
I have to go with Gentoo. I run the 64 bit version on my desktop (along with XP and some other test environments), and run it on my server as well.

I am currently toying with Suse as well and it is pretty slick. Picked up on all my hardware, took minimal work to get full support for my Graphics card, wireless card, multimedia keyboard etc...

It's hard to play favorites. They're all sew good. Xandros is nice for office use. Fedora for server environment.

It's hard to play favorites. They're all sew good. Xandros is nice for office use. Fedora for server environment.
I figured I'd hear about Xandros from you. Almost mentioned it in my first post, but figured I'd let you point out it's ease of use with some Windows products.Haven't gotten a change to try Fedora out. Last time I used RedHat was with RedHat 7 I believe, when I first decided to see what Linux was all aboot.

Tried out Suse tonight. By far the most user friendly one so far yet. Setup more like a windows interface. Not to shabby,

Even more so than Xandros?

Haven't tried that one yet. I know it's davec's favorite.

You'll have to take a look at that one, also just like a windows environment, without all the holes of course.

I'll take Suse please.  The super Xandros advantage of "running windows apps" never really worked so well for me, and a good linux guru will configure wine to run their apps.. plus bashing Xandros and getting davec riled is always fun... Xandros = debian for even bigger pansies  :twisted:

So ndboarder did you try opensuse also? Is that your favorite?

I tried opensuse on my desktop just for something to play with.  I like it for something that is quick and easy to setup and use, but I still boot Gentoo more frequently and would use Gentoo for server setups.  This is partially due to the fact that it is what I am most used to.  Suse is up there though

I tried opensuse on my desktop just for something to play with.  I like it for something that is quick and easy to setup and use, but I still boot Gentoo more frequently and would use Gentoo for server setups.  This is partially due to the fact that it is what I am most used to.  Suse is up there though
May try it out later... :smt023

Back