Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

What's next for Apple

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So Cpav has a point. I know Apple's stock fell lately. But what do they really have coming out? Nothing new has really been introduced lately. What do you think the next ground breaking product would they reveal? I really can't think of anything except for improving on their devices already out such as Iphone/Ipad.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Next for Apple is failure...

The iPhone has been dated for a couple years now. The last few phones they released were 1 year late, meaning competing manufacturers had had a phone that beat Apple's current release out for at least 1 year before they released it.

They caught the tablet market at the right time, but there are many other options that are better options than an iPad now as well.

They haven't released anything innovative and their visionary is gone. I'd guess their stock falls a little more, plateaus for a while and then if they wait till the end of the year to release an iPhone 5s and a slightly updated tablet, it starts dropping some more (with potential rise at first when sales occur, since there's still too many that just think something is the best because it is labeled apple, and don't know how to look at real specifications)

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I actually agree with ndboarder here (I know right?) Anyways I agree with the phones/tablets. The Samsung phones are very nice and I have even been looking at them. Plus tablets like the Nexus 7 etc. are very nice. The need something new, not just improvements.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I actually agree with ndboarder here (I know right?) Anyways I agree with the phones/tablets. The HTC phones are very nice and I have even been looking at them. Plus tablets like the Nexus 7 etc. are very nice. The need something new' date=' not just improvements.

[/quote']

HTC phones look nice, not always the best phone though. I've owned a few devices from HTC. They weren't terrible, but they weren't great. If you look away from Apple, I suggest you focus more on something from Samsung or Nokia personally as far as build quality and speed with resolving issues....

Edit: Note I am not saying anything about OS, just phone build quality based on my experiences and those of friends who have owned HTC vs others...

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ya sorry I think I was thinking of the Galaxys and not the htcs. my bad.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
This does look sexy though, but now im getting off-topic.

Specifications

• Network: Over 155 carriers globally

• CPU: 1.7 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 600

• Screen: 4.7-inch 1920x1080 Super LCD 3 (468PPI)

• RAM: 2GB

• Storage: 32GB or 64GB

• Camera: 4MP rear ("UltraPixel")/ 2.1MP front

• Battery: 2300 mAh Li-Ion

• Price: $199.99 (32Gb) or $299.99 (64GB)

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
What is up for apple is fixing the apple tv so that I can play games from it with a bluetooth controller. I'm told that the ipad3 can mirroring better than my ipod5, but the ipod is too laggy.

Without being long winded, I think they have 4 things left to do:

• Manage supply chain better so they don't have so many lower tier models. I've read they so many left over parts so they still make ipad 2's or iphone 4's. Too many options.
  • Lower prices on videos and tv shows. The prices are too high to me.
  • Get more involved in gaming on the TV.
  • Work out content deals for TV and movies to help cord cutters.

I don't necessarily think they need a new product. They just need to finish working on their existing product lines to make the compelling and deliver on the implications of digital distribution. Cheap, Easy and Fast.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
What is up for apple is fixing the apple tv so that I can play games from it with a bluetooth controller. I'm told that the ipad3 can mirroring better than my ipod5' date=' but the ipod is too laggy.

Without being long winded, I think they have 4 things left to do:

[list'][*]Manage supply chain better so they don't have so many lower tier models. I've read they so many left over parts so they still make ipad 2's or iphone 4's. Too many options.

[*]Lower prices on videos and tv shows. The prices are too high to me.

[*]Get more involved in gaming on the TV.

[*]Work out content deals for TV and movies to help cord cutters.

I don't necessarily think they need a new product. They just need to finish working on their existing product lines to make the compelling and deliver on the implications of digital distribution. Cheap, Easy and Fast.
Don't hold your breath on items 2 or 4. Cable companies aren't ready to give that up yet, so I don't expect you'll see the price per episode or season passes or such things on Video content getting cheap anytime soon

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Kinda want to bump this. Now that the iphone is out with not much improvements, just basically a new OS, how long till they need to release something new to stay in the game?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
What's next? Bankruptcy! YAY!!! Ok, in all seriousness, when was the last time their phone really changed? 4, 4S, 5, 5S. Is there really any big innovation or change from 4 years ago? It's like the old Windows Mobile platform that was big in business but never caught on with consumers. Granted there are great reasons the WM platform died and was replaced with a much more consumer friend interface and focus on Phone + music/gaming/app interfaces, but the comparison is there. WM 3 didn't look much different from the WM 6.5 devices that ended the run.

Now then that said and comparison made, droid isn't a lot different and time will only tell if WP really changes a lot. Apple probably does need to stop holding out on some things with the phone though. NFC is one (bump is fine, but mobile pay will get big and uses it). It was mentioned they have too many models, but I'd argue the opposite. They have one model that does a lot of things OK, but they are competing with companies like Samsung and Nokia (or MS now I guess) who have numerous models ranging from high end, huge screens, monster camera's, high price luxury, to low end ultra cheap phones that still do all the basics minus the frills of big screen/high resolutions/41MP camera/etc. They are just there in the middle of the road from phone specs. the only thing keeping the phone alive is peoples investment in the ecosystem, resistance to change, group think, etc...

Aside from really re-inventing their phone or having numerous models and price points, there have been rumors they'd launch their own TV sets (hopefully more reasonably priced than their monitors), and other devices. They do now have support for controllers, so there's gaming as an option to grow, but really I don't know if I think any phones are quite yet to the spec of being a viable full fledged hard core game platform like console or PC. Battery life just isn't there if running a real game. The other question I have there is how any phone could really drive great graphics to compete with console/PC on a much larger display and keep up frame rates.

Anyway, I guess the short version of all this is either they need a brand new crazy innovative product, or they need to start taking on all the hardware options that other manufacturers and software makers have started putting in competing phones/tablets, or one day the shine will wear off for those still thinking apple is the leader in tech.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
Whats next? A model with a bigger screen for sure. Although I know people that are tired of their Samsung Galaxy's because they are just too cumbersome. Hard to please everyone. The interest in the product is still there judging by the droves and droves of people waiting to get their hands on the 5s. In fact, they even seem harder to get this time around than when we picked up the 4s for the wife.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
A larger screen isn't going to please everyone. Tons of other makers have been doing large screen for years. If that's all they have to bring to the table, I think they are in trouble. They need something "different" that no one else has. But what else can you really do to a phone? You are limited.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
So this was my main point. What they have now is pretty much middle of the road and one product. A bigger screen will please some, not others. This is where manufacturers of competing devices have advantage. They have different sizes/styles/features across many handsets to try to appeal to much larger audiences than just the droves of blinded apple fans

I know people who bought a galaxy just because they wanted the tap-to-share (which WP also offers) via NFC. I know people that bought an iPhone just for a WoW app. Bottom line one specific feature or app might bring in a person or two, but like nodle said they need a real differentiator to stay relevant, or at the very least they need to bring in features other phones have had for the past few years to stay at least competitive.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Phones are going to peak sooner or later. In a way they already have. You can only make a screen so large, then it's to large to carry around and is considered a tablet. You can only increase the DPI so far and only make it so clear. You can only keep raising the megapixels on a camera until it doesn't really matter anymore. All that you really have left is the OS and some ease of use features from that. I mean I can't even think of anything more you can bring to a camera. A built in coffee maker? :rolleyes:

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
I don't think Apple needs to be the game changers at this point. They have the cult following. The pressure is on the other companies to sway the Apple people. At the same time, they can't be lazy and do nothing either. People don't wait in lines to get the new Samsung or Windows phones. Not putting them down but its the truth.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
It's just a fad though. Just like Apple computers in tv shows and movie. It's just for the looks. It's really no difference than having a Ferrari logo on a sewing machine. It might look cool but once you goto use it, you are disappointed and can't do anything with it. Tell you what @jmanz , you go get your skinny jeans on and wear your suspenders with your mustache waxed and your fedora and go stand in line with the rest of the fgts.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Phones are going to peak sooner or later. In a way they already have. You can only make a screen so large, then it's to large to carry around and is considered a tablet. You can only increase the DPI so far and only make it so clear. You can only keep raising the megapixels on a camera until it doesn't really matter anymore. All that you really have left is the OS and some ease of use features from that. I mean I can't even think of anything more you can bring to a camera. A built in coffee maker? :rolleyes:
Well you can certainly only take a camera so far, but the idea is since not many want a huge thick phone (The galaxy camera phone with optical zoom that is really a point and shoot camera with a smartphone built in), that instead you have a great sensor/lens and high MP count to take images you can digitally zoom without losing the clarity as easily. Getting off topic, but the Lumia 1020's camera in reality takes 2 pictures when using the 41MP, one at 5 MP to be shared via text/email and one higher res one where you can freely crop/uncrop/zoom, etc and save new 5mp versions to share. You can of course connect to a PC and get the full res image on your computer to edit off phone as well.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I don't think Apple needs to be the game changers at this point. They have the cult following. The pressure is on the other companies to sway the Apple people. At the same time, they can't be lazy and do nothing either. People don't wait in lines to get the new Samsung or Windows phones. Not putting them down but its the truth.
As for lines, people certainly do pre-order and wait in lines for phones other than iPhone. It isn't as publicized and maybe they aren't as long, but what Apple mostly has is the media's eye. Also, you seem to be focused on US sales jmanz. They may not need to be a game changer to keep the fan boys in line, but they got lines from fan boys when they were almost bankrupt. If they want to get the direction of their stock price turned around though they do need something new that sells better outside of the US and CA. Globally we are but a fraction of the population and we are not where smartphone use is going to be growing. Globally windows phone has been taking market share pretty steadily lately, and it isn't from putting any dents in the overwhelming droid share of the market.

By manufacturer, Apple is about even, though I do believe they fell behind and have only been losing ground last I saw, with Samsung (who dominates the droid market as an OEM), but by OS, droid is way ahead of apple and way way way ahead of WP. Even with the droves of people and selling out of "gold" phones news, their stock isn't turning around. There will be a bump in week or two when some sales figures show up, but it will be temporary.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
It's just a fad though. Just like Apple computers in tv shows and movie. It's just for the looks. It's really no difference than having a Ferrari logo on a sewing machine. It might look cool but once you goto use it, you are disappointed and can't do anything with it. Tell you what @jmanz , you go get your skinny jeans on and wear your suspenders with your mustache waxed and your fedora and go stand in line with the rest of the fgts.
Coming from a World of Warcraft addict no less.....