Private folders?

ndboarder

Reaction score
As I'm sure most saw, Microsoft had released Private Folder 1.0 which gave you one password protected folder to keep away prying eyes. I missed out on when they released it and didn't hear a thing until it had been pulled from their site so I've never really tried it out.

Any one have the installer? I was looking for a mirrored copy of it, but who knows if the installers even work anymore. I couldn't believe people actually didn't want the ability to store some documents in a completely protected folder. At any rate I found a nice alternative if anyone has a use for such software during my quest to find and test private folder.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

I haven't tried truecrypt yet either, but from what I've seen online people seem to think highly of it. I'll likely test it and post back later

Ya I saw this a little while back. I guess they pulled it because businesses were scared that their employees would hide stuff on their computers. :roll:

yeah, businesses were apparently scared. I also read where parents were upset because their kids would be able to hide things on the PC. That is why parents should just do their job and either not install it, or punish the kids in some way if they won't show what is in there... cripes..

Looks like you found a DL for it, I also found one shortly after my initial post. For those with ftp accounts you can find the install for PF1.0 and Truecrypt on my rig.

yeah' date=' businesses were apparently scared. I also read where parents were upset because their kids would be able to hide things on the PC. That is why parents should just do their job and either not install it, or punish the kids in some way if they won't show what is in there... cripes..Looks like you found a DL for it, I also found one shortly after my initial post. For those with ftp accounts you can find the install for PF1.0 and Truecrypt on my rig.[/quote']This is good stuff. One of the Polar techs was looking for something like this the other day. He was asking if we knew of any good tools. This looks like it could fit the bill.

very interesting...the reviews seem somewhat mixed on that site.

I didn't look too much at the site in the link, but I know I've read criticism of it's capabilities, as well as the fact that it is only one folder, and you can't specify where it is stored, etc...

I'll have to try that out at the homefront.

I'll have to try that out at the homefront.
Why would you possibly need that sir? :tinfoil:

Get hit in the Privates. Folders that is.

Back