What OS do you use?

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was just kinda wondering what OS everyone uses as there primary operating system? Notice there is nothing lower than Win2k? Because if your running anything lower, then update your OS.

I primarily run XP Pro, but I have a couple linux distros on my desktop. Mainly because I need office and such things and don't have time to experiment with Wine that much.

Gentoo 64 bit for most things, and Suse 32 bit for testing out what Suse is about.

I also run Gentoo 32 bit on my server.

If you like Doom 3 or Unreal Tournament 2004, I highly recommend linux for playing them. They ran fine in my windows environment, but flew in the linux platform (of course i would start some minimal GUI and have about 100% system resources free for the game too)

I use to use Winxp pro. 64bit edition, it has a much more snappier interface kinda like Win server 2003. Plus it seems to handle memory alot better. Theres just a couple of things that made me switch back. But I think I will just wait till Vista comes out.

Those win 95 machines are a nightmare. They are no fun to troubleshoot over the phone or when you are working on them. I use XP Pro 32, waiting for Vista.

I use to use Winxp pro. 64bit edition' date=' it has a much more snappier interface kinda like Win server 2003. Plus it seems to handle memory alot better. Theres just a couple of things that made me switch back. But I think I will just wait till Vista comes out.I have 64, but never did try it since I had heard bad things about finding drivers that would work. Was that ever a problem?

I had Vista beta 1 on my machine at one time, but was having trouble getting XP and Vista to co-exist... I download the most recent CTP version a while back, maybe i should try that one out....

Last edited by a moderator:
I got Win xp 64bit right when it came out and there were alot of problems like finding drivers for like your NIC or chipset etc. But now you can find about anything with a 64bit driver now. And finally alot more programs are starting to support it. I think its a cool idea, but at the same time they should have just waited to release Vista. I've heard good things about all the latest releases of Vista though, it seems to be getting alot better with each release.

I hope Vista isn't too terribly buggy when it is released, and hopfully there will be a plethora of 64 bit apps/drivers by that time as well. For all the push backs on the release date one would hope that it makes for a stable OS of the bat... Of course it is Microsoft, and some of what I've read recently points to huge memory requirements for the updated graphics engine

I hope Vista isn't too terribly buggy when it is released' date=' and hopfully there will be a plethora of 64 bit apps/drivers by that time as well. For all the push backs on the release date one would hope that it makes for a stable OS of the bat... Of course it is Microsoft, and some of what I've read recently points to huge memory requirements for the updated graphics engineYa but I am glad it will get some of these old poeple to finally update their systems. I can't tell you how many win98 machines running a pentium with 32mb of memory I still have to work on. I mean come on people UPGRADE! :evil:

Ya but I am glad it will get some of these old poeple to finally update their systems. I can't tell you how many win98 machines running a pentium with 32mb of memory I still have to work on. I mean come on people UPGRADE!
I remember when i worked with ya out west, all of the win 95 machines that came in. Hopefully its gotten better since I've been there. I think more people are running xp nowdays in this part of the state.

Ya but I am glad it will get some of these old poeple to finally update their systems. I can't tell you how many win98 machines running a pentium with 32mb of memory I still have to work on. I mean come on people UPGRADE! :evil:
No Doubt. I remember the frustration of working with those devils back at the helpdesk with sir jmanz. Of course, now I'm just stuck doing support for family and friends, and though I've gotten most of my relatives out of the stone age, i still get called about win 9x/ME machinesRemember when i got that windows 3.0 call manz? (this is in late 2004 by the way)

No Doubt. I remember the frustration of working with those devils back at the helpdesk with sir jmanz. Of course, now I'm just stuck doing support for family and friends, and though I've gotten most of my relatives out of the stone age, i still get called about win 9x/ME machinesRemember when i got that windows 3.0 call manz? (this is in late 2004 by the way)
Yes I do remember, I am very dissapointed that you weren't able to help :LOL:

1.1 Owns all>*

1.gif

Well i was just surfing around a bit and ran into an article about yet another possible delay to Vista. It's speculation by Gartner Research, and Microsoft is still claiming they can hit their target dates... I guess we'll see.

Well i was just surfing around a bit and ran into an article about yet another possible delay to Vista. It's speculation by Gartner Research' date=' and Microsoft is still claiming they can hit their target dates... I guess we'll see
Thanks for the link. But I would rather have it delayed 3 extra months if they get more bugs worked out of it. Besides look at XP, look how many pathces and fixes are released for it already. I think it's up to like 40 patches after sp2 now.

Thanks for the link. But I would rather have it delayed 3 extra months if they get more bugs worked out of it. Besides look at XP' date=' look how many pathces and fixes are released for it already. I think it's up to like 40 patches after sp2 now.I agree. Considering for now XP works just fine, I'd prefer the next release comes out without too many bugs, and is without a pile of wide open back doors.

Back