Home Server Racks and Ubiquiti

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought themselves a rack for home? I was looking at some 9U racks. One with a door on the front. Not really to put in a server but more to hold my home networking equipment. Does anyone have one for their house?

Has anyone ever bought themselves a rack for home? I was looking at some 9U racks. One with a door on the front. Not really to put in a server but more to hold my home networking equipment. Does anyone have one for their house?
Have thought about it, but no.  Most "home" level equipment really isn't made to rack mount.  Lot of expense for a pretty unnecessary piece of equipment

Have thought about it, but no.  Most "home" level equipment really isn't made to rack mount.  Lot of expense for a pretty unnecessary piece of equipment
Yes but the nerd inside of me wants one. Even though I don't really have a use for  24 port switch and the flashy light. Almost my entire network is wireless now.

Yes but the nerd inside of me wants one. Even though I don't really have a use for  24 port switch and the flashy light. Almost my entire network is wireless now.
Not worth it bruh - save your cash for a better geek purchase

Thanks for talking me out of this @ndboarder. I noticed I threw a bunch of stuff in my Amazon cart last night as was about to order the stuff lol.

I have been doing some roaming around and it seems like Ubiquiti stuff is what everyone is using for networking these days. Is it really that great of stuff?

It's pretty good stuff. I have their USG, a PoE switch and two AP's. Kinda depends on what you are looking to accomplish and how you plan to layout your wireless access points or connect the APs

It's pretty good stuff. I have their USG, a PoE switch and two AP's. Kinda depends on what you are looking to accomplish and how you plan to layout your wireless access points or connect the APs
Ya I was looking at their USG, I think if I needed a whole new setup I think this is the way I would go in the future.

Dad has Ubiquiti AP in his house. Is rated for 600 feet. Feeds yard wireless camera's quite well. The throughput is incredible. We use them at work for point to point links (MIMO). Flawless.

I got to get something figured out soon, my youngest is starting to get taller and come in my office room more. I am scared about her messing with my NAS. She already shut off my UPS once. I really need a locking cabinet to keep small fingers out.

Their stuff is pretty sturdy. I have this one wall mounted in my utility room: https://www.amazon.com/NavePoint-Wallmount-Cabinet-Enclosure-24-Inches/dp/B00LS99DUU?ref_=Oct_BSellerC_11042141_6

When got rid of my old router/wifi combo and moved to Ubiquiti products, I bought all rackmount size items so I added a rack for them too. If your products aren't already mountable then you'd need shelving and weigh limit checks. 24" depth was a bit overkill for actual rackmount devices, they aren't nearly that deep and most of the wiring is on the front. The only way I'll need the 24" depth is if I happen to put a full size PC case in it that has rackmount attachments.

Thanks for the info @ndboarder I was a little worried about the quality. Maybe your right, I think I will just go with the standard size. It's mostly just to store my NAS in and misc. network devices.

Yeah, I'd just look at what you have that you'll put in, or plan to put in it and take some measurements. I ordered the 24" specifically for a PC case I have so I'd have room, but it is a large thing at that size and i'm not sure I'll put the PC in it, so having something that protruded from the wall less would've been nice

Sorry to bump this, but talk to me about your Ubiquiti setup @ndboarder . Are you running their USG followed but a switch and access point? If your using one of their switches are you using their POE version? I woke up about 3 a.m. last night and started researching their products. I have know about them for awhile but started taking a closer look. Also are you running a cloud key as well?

I started out with their USG pro, one AP and the gen 1 cloud key, but I've been adding to it slowly and replaced the cloudkey with one that has NVR capability for their security cameras when they launched that line. Which I have also been adding a few here and there. I currently have:

• Network gear
    USG Pro

• Cloud Key Gen2 Plus w/ the rack mount accessory

• Unifi Switch 16 (8 ports are POE, 8 are not)

• NanoSwitch Outdoor 4-port PoE passthrough switch

[*]Access points

• UAP-AC-PRO (2)

• Unifi Nano HD

[*]Cameras (all POE unless otherwise specified)

• Unifi Video G3 Pro

• Unifi Video G3-Micro (wi-fi camera)

• Unifi Video G3

• Unifi Video G4 Pro

A whole lot of overkill in some ways, but strong 5G wifi all around the house and near the front door and garage. My most recent additions are the G4 Pro camera and the Nano HD AP - both going somewhat close to where the existing G3 Pro camera had been. So I got the NanoSwitch at that time as well so I could take the existing Cat6 run to the G3 pro and split it off to also power the G4 and AP.

Thanks for the info. Just trying to decide what to do, It seems like the way to go, but with my current setup I don't know if it's worth the money. I really like their interface, which seems to draw a lot of people to their products. Plus the easy of how easy everything migrates to it. I was thinking about:

• USG (don't really need the Pro) but the rack mount would be nice

• A small POE switch, again the rack mount would be nice.

• AC-Pro access point.

• Cloud 2 key (seems to be a lot less corruption in case you lose power from what I read)

I think that's all I would really use of theirs. Would cost me around $500-$600 to upgrade and I don't really have problem with mine. But tempting...

Yeah, my setup was a lot of overkill to get to the rack mount sizes. I have a couple patch panels as well I supposed, but those aren't unifi equipment, just what I used to wire the house.

If you current setup works, might find better uses for your cash. I started this path when I was having some issues and liked the modular idea of a separate router and AP's - so I can add as I need for coverage, and I was already doing some security stuff, but bringing my network and security cameras onto one system also drew me this direction. It is nice though that I can just add a new piece as needed or when I want to expand. The next "maybe" on mine would probably be another AP and running a cable in conduit out under the deck of my house to get better wifi coverage when out in summer months just sitting on the deck enjoying sun, the pool, or such

So do you have a enclosed rack @ndboarder or is it a wall mount type?

Back