Thinking about getting back into Astronomy

Just ordered this hand grenade.

19456.jpg

New lens is pretty breathtaking. Because of the wide scope of view its almost like everything is in 3D.

You guys are really missing out on Jupiter this time of the year in the East. You will notice a bright star rising.

Got a great photo of the recent "Blood Moon". Took this one using my smaller scope, nothing fancy, no filters or Photoshop that was the natural look. This was done but just using my phone in my hand over the eyepiece, no cradle.

kkgTPKW.jpg

Ordered a new 9mm wide angle eye piece for my scope. I can't wait the weather is getting warmer at night and the planets are starting to be in view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it has been some time coming. I have had this in my cart for quite some time now and I work up to a limited time sale this morning, so I couldn't pass it up. No more having to align, just set it up, hit a button and let it do the work.

mg_9601_570x380@2x.jpg

• Enables automatic alignment of your Celestron computerized telescope. See a full list of compatible telescopes in the technology tab.

• No need to identify or locate any star in the sky–StarSense automatically aligns your telescope, so you can begin observing in minutes

• Aligns in 3 minutes or less

• Provides advanced mount modeling—align on numerous stars throughout the sky for extremely precise GoTo pointing accuracy

• StarSense hand controller included

I saw something on the news about Jupiter opposition yesterday. Forgot to mention it. Something about it being opposite of the sun and being at it's most visable point? Not into it but it probably makes sense to @nodle

I saw something on the news about Jupiter opposition yesterday. Forgot to mention it. Something about it being opposite of the sun and being at it's most visable point? Not into it but it probably makes sense to @nodle
Yes it's great viewing right now. I broke out my smaller scope to test out my 9mm eye piece last week. I looked at Jupiter and were able to see it's moons as well. I didn't stay out to long since it was cloudy and the cloudy kept covering Jupiter. When it gets dark look to the South East and you will see what appears to be a bright star right now, that is Jupiter.

I did break out the small scope last night again to view Jupiter. At least the evenings are starting to stay warmer now. I will break out the big boy this weekend to get a really good view.

Went to try out new Starsense and of course we had clouds both nights. ?

I wish Summer would hurry up and get here, I feel like looking through my telescope.

I always loved astronomy until i had this subject in uni, it was so boring and the info was so dry and badly delivered that I was a bit done with astronomy after that, but I also would like to get back into it

I always loved astronomy until i had this subject in uni, it was so boring and the info was so dry and badly delivered that I was a bit done with astronomy after that, but I also would like to get back into it
You should give it another chance, the sky is a whole new world to explore.

Well I picked up a smaller telescope for my Daughter tonight. She was wanting one. A small Celestron.

Pulled out my smaller scope last night and looked at Jupiter and it's moons, along with Saturn last night. Both are prime right now to view.

The Neowise comet is viewable in the night sky towards the north west without a telescope right now. We looked at it last night. For those that are interested or have kids you should show it to them. Last time I remember this one so clear was Hailey's comet and that was a long time ago.

Broke out my big scope and updated everything. The Starsense is nice for not having to align things. Looked at Jupiter and Saturn again, along with some double stars and the Andromeda galaxy.

It was a tough year to use a telescope around here this year due to all the forest fires. I did get to break out my smaller scope this weekend though and viewed the moon along with Jupiter.

Well I didn't think I would be bumping this at this time of the year. But say hello to my new toy I picked up at lunch today. My wife saw an ad in our local newspaper yesterday and I called on it. Come to find out the woman goes to our church and they had purchased this and her husband died before they got to use it. The thing had never been used. The eyepiece is still in it's original wrapper still sealed. I couldn't pass it up for the price I paid.

71nZGsQAkVL._AC_SY550_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-8945-SkyQuest-Dobsonian-Telescope/dp/B001DDW9V6

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered a UHC filter for my telescope.

Back