What if all media was free?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So much piracy out there. What would happen if all music, tv shows, movies, book etc. were all free? Where people could share and grab whatever they wanted? How would you think that this would change the world?

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
Quality would increase.  *shrug* I'll answer the rest tomorrow

Ok, I really think quality would eventually increase.  No, it wouldn't be overnight.  But think if everything was free.  Maybe, just maybe, the new GNR album wouldn't have sucked so much, and it wouldn't have taken 15 to 20 years to release it as a follow up.  Only people who thought what they were doing was worth doing and truly enjoyed doing it, would be doing whatever it was they did. 

If "it" was free, there would be nobody to exploit.  There would be no quick buck to be made.  There would be no exclusivity.

Admittedly, there would be some side effects.  There would still be the Pokemon effect (where someone fills up 2TB of HD space on shit they will never learn, listen, play, read, watch, etc.) 

Ultimately, only the talent would survive.

To an extent, there things that are almost free...like at a library, although, I think that's partly funded by your taxes, but I don't know for sure.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
You are true artist would have to fight to be the best. BTW I love the Pokemon effect thing lol.

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
I also don't think there would be such a contest between XBOX, Sony and Nintendo.  The land scape for video games would be different.