Windows 11

I thought Windows 10 was supposed to be the last Windows, guess the needy and constant updating OS and PC life sucker needs a successor. I wish they would at least release an option for the majority of people of a low resource install. Maybe people would have a more joyful experience in something that works at a decent speed. Plus, I could donate and setup a lot more older (6-8 years old) PCs for people in need.

SJE445zzIEqF7U_mrbCym4hRySKEwfsDWGarGLdxUFY.jpg

@ndboarder have you played with Windows 11 yet?

@ndboarder have you played with Windows 11 yet?
Yes, it got pushed to a couple of my machines that were registered in the publicly available Windows Insider program.

I think anyone can sign up for the Windows Insider program now can't they?

I think anyone can sign up for the Windows Insider program now can't they?
Yes, as stated, I was in the publicly available program and got it. Nothing to spectacular, but the updates to the UI and sounds are pretty decent. For now I've left the pinned taskbar items centered instead of left aligning like I'm used to to see if I could get used to it. It isn't terrible, but not sure I'll leave it centered long term. I haven't run into any troubles with it so far. I have heard the taskbar cannot be moved to the sides or top of the screen though, so if you happen to be one of the odd ducks that prefers that type of layout it would likely be annoying.

Yes, as stated, I was in the publicly available program and got it. Nothing to spectacular, but the updates to the UI and sounds are pretty decent. For now I've left the pinned taskbar items centered instead of left aligning like I'm used to to see if I could get used to it. It isn't terrible, but not sure I'll leave it centered long term. I haven't run into any troubles with it so far.
I actually have been using a program called Taskbar X

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/taskbarx/9pcmz6bxk8gh

It basically does all the same think along with animations.

I almost feel weird not using it. I am glad to see that change coming. I have thought about using the insider program, but would be worried about hardware compatibility and stability. One last question, do the builds automatically update to the latest versions by downloading the updates? I mean could you start off with the Insider program and when they release patches keep updating till the final comes out and then move directly to it without a reload of the OS?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have thought about using the insider program, but would be worried about hardware compatibility and stability. One last question, do the builds automatically update to the latest versions by downloading the updates? I mean could you start off with the Insider program and when they release patches keep updating till the final comes out and then move directly to it without a reload of the OS?
Insiders just get new builds earlier, or preview builds in this case. Once on insiders you get more frequent windows updates than you normally would, because you are getting updated builds. So, yes, Insiders will keep getting patches/updates frequently. When the product is released you will get the GA release update as well, but while on Insiders you would continue to get new builds and features after the product releases as well.
If you were to enable Insiders and decide you wanted to leave it, you only have a couple options. First, you can queue your device for unenrollment and at the next major GA release, once your machine is updated to the GA (non-Insider) build, it would stop getting Insider updates. Currently, that would mean you'd continue getting insider builds until Windows 11 officially releases. The alternative to get off of insider builds immediately is a fresh Windows install. This could be an install back to Win 10 before the 11 release, or after Win 11 release if you get any insider updates past GA you would have to do a Win 10/11 fresh install

Nvidia just released their first official Windows 11 driver.

Well today is the day for roll outs starting, anyone going to do it? I head some people were getting them yesterday. I think it's on some sort or roll out though, so I don't know what their order is. I checked Windows updates here on my computer and it has a new compatibility thing, that shows I am compatible, but nothing yet.

Well got Windows 11 installed on home computer. Pretty nice, I am use to the center bar since I was using an aftermarket program before. Might be a big change for some. Love the minimalistic menus and the new icons (I have wanted Windows to do this forever). No problems with any programs so far. Good job Microsoft!

cek20446xh7rkdw7vtprogv4lo6a5kdekgtp62&rid=200.gif 

Just completed Windows 11 here at work as well, loving it. 

The new 'Cut & Paste' feature is genius!

I was going to install Windows 11 on my parent's computer, but they have some really strict requirements. They have an I7 and it said that it wasn't enough. It complained about the TPM requirements as well, but that can be fixed with a BIOS update from ASUS I believe. Microsoft does offer a work around for those of you that still want to force an install. It does require editing your registry. But Microsoft has warned that you might not receive important Windows updates doing it this route. 

1633451165_tpm_bypass_official_microsoft.jpg

The cutoff on processors and the TPM stuff is pretty crazy.  I get they are going for security and excluding platforms with known exploits.  This is also why Windows 10 will continue to be in mainstream support with updates for years to come yet, since many older machine's don't meet the requirements of 11.

Back