Synology 918+ NAS

Updated to the new DSM 6.2 this morning. Brought a bunch of new features as well.

So I ordered a new .M2 SSD today and I will be taking my 250 gig Samsung and using it as a read cache in my Synology. You can do read/write, but I will be just using it for read. Still loving my NAS btw.

Installed my old 960evo in my Synology (no tools required). It was real easy to setup. I am just using the read cache, but I noticed it did somewhat speed up things.

Well I set my backup to Onedrive last night. Was painless and it is now backing up my data each morning at 2 a.m. I was currently using Backblaze and might cancel it now. Or I just might keep both locations.

Been cleaning up my NAS data all morning, trying to get everything organized. I really need to let go of old data.

I see once and awhile Plex sends out coupons for deals on their lifetime license. If anyone ever gets a coupon and doesn't need it, I will gladly take it. :)

Well I switched over my NAS to Plex tonight. Going to go with it since there is so many supported apps everywhere.

So I have been back to trying to transfer my movies back into Plex. Plex uses a different naming scheme so trying to get everything organized. It's taking a whole evening to transfer a entire season of Seinfeld. But I am getting there.

Finally finished getting all the seasons of my Seinfeld collection transferred over. That took some time. I'm really enjoying Plex.

I am going to try out switching over to Synology's own C2 service. The cloud is based in Germany. I think the pricing is decent as well, but it incorporates seamlessly with the NAS since it's their own service. I will see how it goes then might dump Backblaze B2 (nothing wrong with it, it's dirt cheap and no complaint's but lack UI just headless).

Well my fist cloud backup to Synology C2 went great. So simple. I can highly recommend them as a backup solution for backup.

Getting back into transferring my collection. Still waiting for a deal on Plex Lifetime, nothing yet ?

Thinking about going Plex Lifetime. Do you think it's worth it @ndboarder ?

Well went ahead and purchased the lifetime Plex tonight. I think the software is worth it.

Broke out my old Drobo. I haven't used it since I got my Synology, (which is way superior). But I thought why not use it? So I scrounged up some old large hard drives that I had laying around threw them in and mount the shared folder and started transferring data over. This way I have two local copies with two machine that are redundant along with a cloud backup. Overkill?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well added another larger drive tonight. The Synology 918+ supports hot swapping. SO just pulled the drive I wanted to replace, slapped new one in and clicked repair. Easy peasy! (y)

Guess it's time to get mine updated then. I got a Synology device sometime in the past year, and have been running the DSM7 preview stuff for as long as I've had it. Primary use is just backups, especially of photos from mobile devices.

Back