The secret spice in Totinos pizza

Yes it is fennel seed. It has the same flavoring as most different Anise spices (kind of a black licorice flavor) - shows up in a lot of dishes, especially Mediterranean.

I have a bottle that has been sitting around for a couple of years and I put it out in front a month ago so I would use it more. Some middle eastern countries use this mainly with some other spices as an after meal breathe/digestive aid. This got me wondering about looking for recipes that specifically use this, so I can make use of it more.

Haven't had one in years. Should pick one up for old times sake. I associated the taste with it being cheap but it's been awhile.

So a few week ago I was walking through a grocery store and I saw they had come spice packets. I found the fennel one and bought a small packet. The other night we were cooking a pizza so I opened it up and sprinkled it on a side. I was a little worried since I went a little heavy on a few slices. But after cooking it and trying it, sure enough it is the correct spice. It wasn't to bad even when I went heavy on it. My wife even liked it. It give it a great Italian flavor. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Loaded this up on a pizza last night. I highly recommend picking yourself up some. It will take your Digiorno pizza to the next level!

Back