Hi-Point Carbine rifle

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So ya I know Hi-point sucks. Their handguns are probably the worst handguns out there. The other day when I was picking up my gun I saw this Hi-point rifle sitting on the shelf that looked kinda cool. It was small took .45 round ammo and was dirt cheap. Under $300. My Dad was like what brand and I said Hi-point and he said they are junk. A couple of days later I was bored on Youtube and thought of that gun and start watching videos thinking people will be making fun of them. What I found is people actually love them. They seem fairly reliable (except for their magazines) and they are extremely accurate. The breakdown looks horrible on them though. But everyone has nothing but good things to say. They say its a gun that you pull out when everyone leaves the range and you have a blast. Basically a fat girl of guns. Anyone else heard anything? @ryanator?

I'm not familiar with this, but by reading other reviews, seems to be mixed.  As long as it's reliable and functions with decent accuracy, that's all that matters.  I like simplicity as it usually means it will outlast anything else.   As for the magazines, I would look into if they have ones that are rated good.  

45 otter can hit fairly hard. Might be worth getting one for close in work. Price is right no?

Say hello to another friend. .45cal.

Prd9vwA.gif

40425-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Nice, treat it to some hot loaded ammo. +P with Buffalo bore flat nose or underwood xtemes.

So I just got back from firing this. Here are my thoughts. I brought it home and my Dad came over and we broke it apart and disassembled it. It's not as simple to breakdown as say an AR is. There is more to it. Since it is the first time some of the pins and clips were tough to get out. I am sure over time these will loosen up. Plus some just need a touch of oil. Overall once you break it down for the first time it comes apart pretty easy. Also don't fear taking the front sight off, it's engineered to slide right back in the same spot with the pick-nary rail and center itself, you can't mess it up. The barrel was pretty dirty inside as well. Make sure to give it a thorough cleaning before your first time shooting it. It also comes with a little tool that will do almost all the things you need to dismantle it. The metal it uses is funny, feel like cheap pot metal. Not high quality steel. But it works. Reminds me of something from the 50s or 60s era. I like the back butt stock, it has 3 springs in it for shock. Neat design. So after we got everything back together the sun was already setting and we ran to the store asap to grab more ammo. by the time we got out to shoot, the sun was almost down but we just wanted to get a feel for it. I'm not gonna lie I kept thinking about things like "did I just waste my money"? Plus me and my Dad were joking all the way out like will it even hit a target? So we get out there and it's getting dark, real dark real fast we just set up a target and didn't have time to sit and use a bag or anything. I just stood there and hoped for the best. We were about between 35-40 yards back btw. What happened next was amazing, we were blown away. I now know how everyone that has shot one has felt, they are dam fun. My Dad was blown away. We literally only had 5 minutes left of daylight and I could barely see though the ghost rings. But low and behold with no sights adjustments they were hitting the target, my Dad couldn't believe it. He tried shooting two shots (you can see his two holes on the target below) and they didn't hit the center mark but he said he couldn't even see the box. We were also all standing with wind and no light. We talked all the way back and laughed on how blown away we both were. It feels so good shooting it, makes a "thud" noise followed by a slight "ding" from the cartridge bouncing out. You can also really smell the powder (I like the smell), but dam it is accurate out of the box. Don't forget were shooting pistol ammo so I don't expect that great of accuracy or range. We only shoot 15 rounds and couldn't see anymore. We plan on going back out in the daylight to see what it is really capable of but we are impressed. My Dad wants one now. I don't care if it's not a big brand name it's awesome!

Not bad for shooting in the dark and the first time out?

cuEMnK4.jpg

I'm going get me one. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Nodle and doing a review.

I see they have variations in models. I. E. 4595TS FGFL-LAZ

4595-TS-FGFL-LAZ.jpg

Ya all those accessories seem like junk, I think you can get other brands better. There are some nice accessories out there for them like:

http://www.downrangeproductsco.com/product-category/hi-point-carbine-accessories/

There is not a whole lot you can do with them. They aren't like an AR as far as accessories go. I think I might get a barrel shroud for mine and a new slide knob. Might drop a small red dot on as well. Just got home from Church, but after lunch I think we will take it back out for some more fun.

Took it out to the range again tonight.  Had some fun with it. We setup officially at 50 yards and did a nice grouping. What was impressive is we setup at 100 yards officially and we knew it was a long shot but when we got up there we were impressed, got some nice head shots on a target at 100 yards. My Dad was wanting to stretch it out even more, but I was like we keep forgetting that this is pistol ammo. I came home and spent the evening cleaning it. I know it wasn't ready but wanted to try the breakdown again. Dam that barrel get black though even after running multiple patches. You look inside that barrel compared to my other guns and the craftsmanship is not there, but somehow it just works and is dam accurate. I keep reminding myself what I paid for it, I shouldn't try to baby it so much. Gonna go look at getting a few parts ordered for it tonight.

Ordered some of my replacement parts from http://www.downrangeproductsco.com/ today. Going to research some red dot scopes today. I don't want anything to spendy, trying to keep this somewhat cheap.

I've had fun out in the garage tonight, I added some of my parts, put my scope and and did some sweet mods to it. Pretty proud of myself. I think I am having more fun with this cheap gun than my more spendy ones. xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Well headed out this afternoon to go to the gun range to get red dot sighted in, drive all the way out there. Pull my bag out and then released I left my clips back home. So ya kinda an uneventful day, going to make up for it tomorrow.

Do my little red dot didn't work out to well at the range today. Even at full brightness I couldn't see it. Going to send back for something different.

Wife is headed to the gun shop tomorrow. Does she ask for Hi-Point 995 in 45 caliber?

Wife is headed to the gun shop tomorrow. Does she ask for Hi-Point 995 in 45 caliber?
The .45 is a 4595TS model. You know the 9mm model I would look into as well. For one thing the ammo is going to be way cheaper and won't have as much kick. I have no problem with my .45 by any means just thought I would mention it. If your interested in carbines, Ruger has a new one out which I have head good things about, but again your going to pay way more.https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

For the MSRP you can almost buy two Hi-points.

Thanks sir! She has a 45 auto Springfield so, she wants something where she doesn't have to carry different ammo for a carbine.

They didn't have one in stock so she ordered one up. 310.00 they wanted. Got some 45 PPU ammo hollow point ammo coming.

They didn't have one in stock so she ordered one up. 310.00 they wanted. Got some 45 PPU ammo hollow point ammo coming.
Good price I paid $340 I believe. Did she just get black or flat dark earth like mine?

Back