Vista prices and release date leaked out...

I also have this downloaded' date=' the ISO is sitting on SuSe's desktop, as well as an ISO to update from SuSe 10.0 to 10.1. I'm actually weighing whether to come into work for a while tomorrow, or if I should reinstall Vista and then SuSe update (which will be followed by Xgl experimentation) I've been trying to experiment with NX server which is like Remote Desktop for linux, and supposedly faster than VNC connections which would rock, but alas it isn't cooperating with me.Nodle, did you install Vista as a dual boot? Just wondering becaues the last time I put Vista on my machine it wouldn't load XP, even though it had put that option in the bootloader, so I had to use XP's install CD to fix the MBR before I could get boot XP again, which of course lost me the ability to boot Vista[/quote']

No it wasn't a dual boot, just installed it straight from dvd.

Well I Guess I'll let you know how attempting dual (perhaps dueling will be more appropriate) Windows goes for me this time. Burning the DVD as I type, hoping to kick off the install before heading to Jamestown. Then to get the quad boot working (Both windows, Suse, and Gentoo).

Well I Guess I'll let you know how attempting dual (perhaps dueling will be more appropriate) Windows goes for me this time. Burning the DVD as I type' date=' hoping to kick off the install before heading to Jamestown. Then to get the quad boot working (Both windows, Suse, and Gentoo).[/quote']Good luck, I wish I had more time to mess with it. I installed it at work and had only about 15 minutes to play with it. I will mess with it more when I get back to work next week. The install was nice and easy and smooth. Way better than the typical XP install.

Well I got Vista RC1 installed last night. If you leave out the product key (which you will likely have to unless you have a Beta 2 key) it will let you choose which version to install. I went with Home Premium since i figured that is what I would be most likely to purchase at some point, but was very tempted to try Ultimate (which I still might).

It is pretty slick looking, and runs faster than XP on my machine of course the fact I don't have a ton of other programs running in Vista is the cause of that. The good news is that by installing Vista on a separate partition the Dual Boot of XP and Vista worked flawlessly with no extra work to configure it. The bad news... apparently MS didn't feel like letting you remote desktop to your machine with Home Premium. I may have to do a new fresh install of ultimate just to get that functionality but we'll see.

Now for the Suse upgrade and Xgl experimentations... after going into the office for a while :smt009

The high prices will be good for Linux Distros seeking to gain market share.
ubuntu seems to be catching on quite nicely' date=' if you like media center and linux you should try Mythtv.

http://www.mythtv.org/
Off topic again, but since MythTV was mentioned in here, version 0.20 has been released. According to the /. article I saw "The latest version of MythTV, the open source PVR application for Linux, has been released. New features (as documented in the release notes) include a new menu system, an improved internal DVD player, support for DVB radio channels, and mouse support. There is also a new plugin MythArchive which allows recordings be written to DVD."

More information and downloads can of course be found at their site linked in nodle's quote above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried Vista out on a dual core centrino laptop yesterday, what a difference a dual core system made. It runs ten times better plus unlocks more of the visual features.

I saw the release 1 whatever version 64 bit yesterday on a nice system and looked very nice.

I saw the release 1 whatever version 64 bit yesterday on a nice system and looked very nice.
Haven't tried the 64X os version yet.

I like this quote from the article.

Microsoft has said it plans to urge customers to purchase premium versions of Vista in favor of Windows Vista Home Basic, the entry-level version for U.S. consumers
Who would've ever guess that? :smt017

I'm gonna buy ultimate just for the cool looking box

So how long till we see Vista leaked out now? I see the RTM and the MSDN versions are out. I'll give it a week.

That was fast its already leaked lol

Back