Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Virginia and the 2nd Amendment

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
VA's state government recently went entirely over to the Democrat Party, after being mostly Republican for quite a long time.
With this legislative control, and partially in response to the Virginia Beach Shooting, they introduced some gun control bills with the following intent:
  • Requiring background checks on all gun sales and transactions (including private sales)
  • Banning “dangerous” weapons and accessories (including "assault weapons", "high-capacity" magazines, bump stocks and "silencers") -- I believe this has been changed to include a 'grandfather' clause, meaning it would ban future sales, but not possession, of these.
  • Limiting handgun sales to one a month
  • Requiring lost or stolen firearms to be reported to police within 24 hours
  • Allowing Extreme Risk Protection Orders (“red flag” law)
  • Barring people under final protective orders from having guns (instead of only final protective orders of family abuse)
  • Making it illegal to ”recklessly” leave loaded, unsecured firearms around children under 18
  • Letting localities regulate whether guns are allowed in government buildings
Various parts of these bills are considered infringements on gun rights by many, and in response a majority of counties in VA have passed "2nd Amendment sanctuary" resolutions, which are not binding legislation, but are meant to send the message that they do not intend to enforce state laws that they believe are violations of the 2nd Amendment.
Coupled with this, some law enforcement officers in those areas have stated that they will not comply with what they see as unconstitutional gun laws.
In response to that, one Democrat Representative suggested consequences such as "the governor may have to nationalize the National Guard to enforce the law. That's his call", along with removal of state funding. When asked about that, Governor Northam said, "If we have constitutional laws on the books and law enforcement officers are not enforcing those laws on the books, then there are going to be consequences, but I'll cross that bridge if and when we get to it."
The gun rights populace are generally responding to the speculation (about National Guard troops enforcing gun control laws) with a common refrain: Molon Labe, or "come and take them".

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
This is honestly getting serious and I can’t believe there is not more media coverage on it.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Keep an eye on this today, I believe that is when the protests are going to happen.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So now that this is over I wonder what happens next? I mean I think you only have like 4 counties that will uphold the law of the state the rest of the counties will not. What happens when the state says its time to enforce them, and the counties say no?