What's new
Fluxoid forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vehicle maintenance

How many of you do your own vehicle maintenance?

• Change oil

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Replace air filter

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Tire rotations

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Major mechanical

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Light mechanical

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I take my car in for all maitenance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ryanator

Mathematical
I want to do my own oil, need a good oil catch pan. I have done spark plugs, brake pads, oil O2 sensor, radiator, but nothing that gets into the major parts of the engine or transmission. My internal door latch borke in my passenger door car recently, I opened up the door panel and fixed it with zip ties (they used a proprietary plastic connector to hook the two metal rods together).

With tires, which I need a pair right now, I like the convenience of a shop putting new tires on, balancing, and rotating. There's some equipment I don't have room for right now.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
I am surprised on how many people don't change their own oil, or even an air filter. I think these types of things should be taught in school (I think they use to). Even fixing a flat tire. Most of this stuff is actually easy and sometimes fun, but might seem hard until you do it once or twice. The hardest thing for me was replaced the knock sensors and intake valves gaskets.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Look man, changing oil is one thing but I think leaving the main engine stuff like you mention to the shops. I would never get into the engine and stuff due to too many things that can be ruined easily and costing you multiple times more to fix. I might be thinking more deeply then what you mean but stuff like rockers, pistons, head gaskets and stuff...nope.

Tires also a big no. I had shop class and I know all too well the NOT FUN of putting the tire on the rim.

I am proud enough to say I change my own oil and easy filters. Also replaced the alternator on the old Lumina. Brakes not sure I would tackle on my own but father-in-law and I did them several times among other more difficult repairs.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
I could do most of these things, but it's easier and faster for a mechanic with a proper workspace, lift, tools, etc to do it properly..

I will do oil once in a while - but it's not really much cheaper to do your own, especially if you do the job and disposal properly.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Well I tackled installing a new exhaust system on my truck last night. Went pretty well though. The bolts holding the flange were pretty rusty, but they came off easy than I thought they would. The rubber supports were a bitch a well.But got everything off and dropped. It will be easy going on with the aftermarket though because of the way it's designed. Can't wait to hear it when it's all done.

LOL - I went to an AC place because I was tired of my AC not throwing out enough air and the first thing he checked was the cabin filters
He said switch these out and if you have issues I can go back - he also asked if I have ever replaced them and I was like NOPE! I've never even knew where they were located. EEEK!

Top Bottom