Upgrade time soon (24th)

OMG This is awesome. The X2 3800+ is way down in price. How could one resist this?

OMG This is awesome. The 3800+ is way down in price. How could one resist this?
But does one just want to up the processor, or switch to an AM2 board? I'd have to go to a different board no matter... Stupid socket 754... well I might not have to, but I want to... Unfortunately I'd probably be as well off just to build something new :( , considering I'd need new ram, gfx card, and so forth...

OMG This is awesome. The 3800+ is way down in price. How could one resist this?
But does one just want to up the processor' date=' or switch to an AM2 board? I'd have to go to a different board no matter... Stupid socket 754... well I might not have to, but I want to[/quote']I would definitely move up to 939. I thought about going to a AM2 board, but everything I have seen just doesn't really justify me having to buy new memory etc. I'm really not all that impressed. I'm just gonna wait for awhile to its actually worth moving up to AM2. Socket 939 seems to be the place to be as of the moment.

Today is the day. Alot of online sites have already dropped their prices. Just waiting for Newegg too. :twisted:

Just 149.00 for the X2 3800+ That thing cost around 300.00 last winter when I threw a machine together for a Coworkers daughter. I wanted one after playing with it but the price was prohibitive at that point. It was pretty neat. You could run CPUMark99 and load software all at the same time. One core would be redlined, the other busy working on the installs.

Just 149.00 for the X2 3800+ That thing cost around 300.00 last winter when I threw a machine together for a Coworkers daughter. I wanted one after playing with it but the price was prohibitive at that point. It was pretty neat. You could run CPUMark99 and load software all at the same time. One core would be redlined' date=' the other busy working on the installs.[/quote']Ya I haven't been around the dual core's yet that much. I know Corey that post on here has one. I can't wait to get one. Just wish Newegg would hurry up and update their prices! :smt013

tempting to move up to a 939 board and an X2 depending on those prices... I see tigerdirect also has yet to update their prices... just had to check since newegg still hasn't either

tempting to move up to a 939 board and an X2 depending on those prices... I see tigerdirect also has yet to update their prices... just had to check since newegg still hasn't either
Ya there's only been about 3 places online that have dropped their prices, and they have all sold out. I keep checking Newegg,and zipzoomfly. But nothing yet. :smt010

yeah... i'm thinking if an upgrade were to occur this mobo would be awfully tempting...

LINK

I couldn't find a DFI or Gigabyte MB on newegg that said it would run the X2's and had nForce, but I'm sure it's there too. Problem is if I upgrade I'll likely end up tempted to either buy enough for a whole new machine... Since I'd have most of the parts I'd need to make 2, other than a case, RAM and hard drive, plus would need to move to a PCI-E gfx card...

yeah... i'm thinking if an upgrade were to occur this mobo would be awfully tempting... LINKI couldn't find a DFI or Gigabyte MB on newegg that said it would run the X2's and had nForce' date=' but I'm sure it's there too. Problem is if I upgrade I'll likely end up tempted to either buy enough for a whole new machine... Since I'd have most of the parts I'd need to make 2, other than a case, RAM and hard drive, plus would need to move to a PCI-E gfx card...[/quote']

I see davec has already gotten to you (DFI). ;-)

yeah... i'm thinking if an upgrade were to occur this mobo would be awfully tempting... LINKI couldn't find a DFI or Gigabyte MB on newegg that said it would run the X2's and had nForce' date=' but I'm sure it's there too. Problem is if I upgrade I'll likely end up tempted to either buy enough for a whole new machine... Since I'd have most of the parts I'd need to make 2, other than a case, RAM and hard drive, plus would need to move to a PCI-E gfx card...[/quote']

What you mean? My DFI Ultra Lan Party came with the bios ready to go for X2. Here's a review off of Newegg's site:

Pros: This board is extremely high performance, making it a prime choice for dual core systems. The dual PCI-x16 slots, while not SPECIFICALY for SLI, do leave the options open for experimentation ;) . 3.0 SATA is a welcome addition from the older DFI models. Not to mention stunning appearance, especially with a UV light inside. And for those who rave about requiring an astrophysics degree to set it up, I installed an AMD 4600+ dual core, 2GB of RAM, 3 hard drives, 2 DVD/R drives, a ZIP and high end graphics, and it was entirely plug and play, I powered it on, installed windows xp, and havent had to touch a thing.

Cons: As many have said, there are a plethora of BIOS settings, which in my experience, toko care of themselves, but if you are looking to change things a bit, or squeak out a for more MHz, there is plenty of room to fry some parts if you arent familiar with overclocking.

Well i didn't look too terribly hard at either site, just a quick look since I'm supposed to be working :shock: But when I went through the links on Neweggs site and went for a 939 and X2 and such, it only brought up a couple boards by DFI or Gigabyte, neither of which had the nForce chipset

Well i didn't look too terribly hard at either site' date=' just a quick look since I'm supposed to be working :shock: But when I went through the links on Neweggs site and went for a 939 and X2 and such, it only brought up a couple boards by DFI or Gigabyte, neither of which had the nForce chipset[/quote']I'll have you stop that working. :smt077

Back