Xbox For Sale?

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow I wonder if this is true? They trting to get out of it. I know that Bill Gates didn't want to even do it anymore awhile back.

Microsoft is said to still be seeking a buyer; but who's in the market?Microsoft's Xbox division is in a much healthier state today than it was a year ago. It's had a tough time of it; forced to reinvent itself in an excruciating, public way as the original design philosophy and marketing message for the Xbox One transpired to be about as popular as breaking wind in a crowded lift, resulting in executive reshuffles and a tricky refocus of the variety that would ordinarily be carried out pre-launch and behind closed doors. Even now, Xbox One remains lumbered with the fossilised detritus of its abortive original vision; Kinect 2.0 has been shed, freeing up system resources and marking a clear departure for the console, but other legacy items like the expensive hardware required for HDMI input and TV processing are stuck right there in the system's hardware and cannot be extracted until the inevitable redesign of the box rolls around...
...Since the start of 2015, things have settled down to a more familiar pattern once more; PS4 consistently outsells Xbox One, even in the USA, generally racking up more than double the sales of its competitor in global terms. Xbox One sells better month-on-month than the Wii U, but that's cold comfort indeed given that Nintendo's console is widely seen as an outright commercial failure, and Nintendo has all but confirmed that it will receive an early bath, with a replacement in the form of Nintendo NX set to be announced in 2016. Microsoft isn't anywhere near that level of crisis, but nor are its sales in 2015 thus far outside the realms of comparison with Wii U - and their installed bases are nigh-on identical.
Source

I'll believe it when I see it. This rumor has gone around and around. Also, Billie G hasn't had anything to do with running MS in awhile, so not sure where you heard that. He was barely around for the 360 years....

So basically journalists asked him about it, since it had been rumored or wanted by investors in the past, and he didn't really vote for or against it. The only quoted answer from him is that selling it off "wouldn't be as obvious as you think" (in Link 2).

Maybe they do and maybe they don't. Personally I don't see an easy sell. The console is very tied to the Xbox Live service, so any buyer would need a massive tech infrastructure to keep migrate users and keep the service going, or they would have to lease the service and just own hardware which doesn't seem like a terrific opportunity.

Beyond that, MS is now integrating Xbox Live with Win 10 and PC gaming, so probably even a tougher sell. A sale of the hardware would probably just mean some new company started using Xbox brand, made a new console and basically started from scratch.

The more likely out, if MS was looking to get out of consoles, would be to work on migrating Xbox gamers to using Xbox Live on a PC --- or given consoles today are just a very specific PC, work with some manufacturers, put out some recommended specs, make Xbox games playable on any PC, and let gamers choose to purchase an Xbox (for now while getting out of console), use a PC, or build their own "console" using components/cases supplied by the manufactures mentioned moments ago.

Well I kinda think it would be stupid. In fact besides their Windows OS software it's what they are known for. I think they would be wiser dropping their phone line. Also as far as using the Xbox on computers Microsoft tried that with their "Live" gaming service that eventually failed. it may just be all a rumor anyways since I thought Microsoft has greatly improved the xbox and it seems to be going strong. They just messed up in the beginning and it's a struggle now since alot of people don't see a need to buy two gaming system this generation especially with most games being widely available on almost every platform.

Back