Apple TV device

ndboarder

Reaction score
I know I've mentioned this new gadget in a post at least once or twice, but has anyone else paid any attention to it?  I watched Steve Jobs give the 2 hour Macworld Keynote yesterday, and though most of the time was spent talking about and demonstrating the iPhone, he did demonstrate Apple TV as well and I was further entrigued by it.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

Apple hasn't actually released this yet, but will begin shipping them in February.  The device connects to your TV via HDMI or component as well has having digital and analog audio outputs I believe.  It will sync via wireless or ethernet to 1 iTunes computer to its built in 40 GB hard drive and can stream content from up to 5 computers.  This makes your music, movies, and TV shows from iTunes available to watch on television (which I'd much rather do than stare at my computer screen).  It also will let you go out over the net and watch trailers/previews as you can at http://www.apple.com/trailers

I think if they get more contracts for selling movies (currently only two motion picture companies sell through iTunes) I can see this getting a lot bigger.  Plus they already have such a huge number of television series that you can purchase. 

Basically if your computer is close to your TV and Home Theater you wouldn't really need such a thing, but it's a neat idea I think.

I think it's neat and i think it is where the future lies with TV.

I think it's neat and i think it is where the future lies with TV.
Especially the way networks are doing the Television series now. If you purchase a season, you can download the episodes the day they air. No commercials, no waiting, watch it when you want.So my updated list of needs/wants = Macbook Pro, running windows vista, with office 2007, sending movies and TV's to my Apple TV

EDIT: (Here's teh apple side, now I just need vista and office... and no I didn't really check out this cart)

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/ndboarder/applecart.jpg

Order 2 of everything? :-D

Order 2 of everything? :-D
Yeah I'll send the extra's to the fluxoid administrator as a swag package

I'll take one or so!

I damn near pulled the trigger on that cart an hour ago...  :shock:  damn you temptation

So are they gonna make their deadline of next Tuesday (Mar. 20) this time.  I hope so, bastards, I want my gizmo... sposed to have it by next friday if they get the damn things shipped this time

So are they gonna make their deadline of next Tuesday (Mar. 20) this time.  I hope so, bastards, I want my gizmo... sposed to have it by next friday if they get the damn things shipped this time
Ya i would be pissed too, i think that thing is gonna be hot.

Sposed to ship tomorrow...  :-D Keepin my fingers crossed

Sposed to ship tomorrow...  :-D Keepin my fingers crossed
Pics when you get.
Will do.  I got confirmation that it has shipped this a.m., Should be here by friday.

Well I got confirmation from Carissa that this was delivered to our apartment this a.m.  Probably check gonna have to rip it out of the box over the noon hour....

Well I got confirmation from Carissa that this was delivered to our apartment this a.m.  Probably check gonna have to rip it out of the box over the noon hour....
Sweet, keep us updated.

Sweet, keep us updated.
Most recent update:  Got it out of the box, pretty compact little unit with a tiny remote control.  I also hooked it up to the TV, I was pretty impressed with setup really.  Steps to get it setup.1. Remove from box

2. HDMI cable to TV

3. HDMI cable to Apple TV box

4. Power cable connected

5. Switch TV to proper input

6. Apple TV detects wireless networks and I select mine

7. It asks for the passkey

8. It gives me a key to use in iTunes

9. I go to computer, iTunes already sees the apple TV and wants the Key

10. I give it the key and it starts syncronizing my music/movies/tv shows

The whole process took a couple minutes.  I then went in and set it up so it is only syncing certain music playlists so I could conserve some of the HD space as I figure it will be used more for the video than music.  Plus that way only the songs we would listen to over the home theater system are on it anyhow, and if I want other songs I can always just stream them from the PC.

So i haven't gotten to watch anything quite yet, but I was impressed at the ease of setup, and the user interface looks pretty slick so far as well.  I think when I get home my first course of action is to try out the Movies -> trailers which plays any trailer apple has available over the net.  I just want to see how well it works at streaming content from the web.

Sweet, keep us updated.
Most recent update:  Got it out of the box, pretty compact little unit with a tiny remote control.  I also hooked it up to the TV, I was pretty impressed with setup really.  Steps to get it setup.1. Remove from box

2. HDMI cable to TV

3. HDMI cable to Apple TV box

4. Power cable connected

5. Switch TV to proper input

6. Apple TV detects wireless networks and I select mine

7. It asks for the passkey

8. It gives me a key to use in iTunes

9. I go to computer, iTunes already sees the apple TV and wants the Key

10. I give it the key and it starts syncronizing my music/movies/tv shows

The whole process took a couple minutes.  I then went in and set it up so it is only syncing certain music playlists so I could conserve some of the HD space as I figure it will be used more for the video than music.  Plus that way only the songs we would listen to over the home theater system are on it anyhow, and if I want other songs I can always just stream them from the PC.

So i haven't gotten to watch anything quite yet, but I was impressed at the ease of setup, and the user interface looks pretty slick so far as well.  I think when I get home my first course of action is to try out the Movies -> trailers which plays any trailer apple has available over the net.  I just want to see how well it works at streaming content from the web.
Thats awesome sir. Impressive HDMI inputs/outputs eh. Suprising ease of setup there. Devils should sell like hotcakes.

Thats awesome sir. Impressive HDMI inputs/outputs eh. Suprising ease of setup there. Devils should sell like hotcakes.
Yah, no low quality for a guy, your choices for connecting to the TV are only HDMI or component I believe.  No standard RCA or even S-Video.  I'll have to double check that though.  can do analog audio, but also have the Optical out for DTS.  As for connectivity, you get wireless (including 802.11n), standard ethernet, and one USB.  I think the USB is only for maintenance though, not syncing. I'm still not sure about how they'll do at selling them.  I hope they go like hotcakes, cuz then I would anticipate more movies being available.  There is a decent selection now, a lot of disney animated ones though.  I browsed through the iTunes store and found a total of maybe 20 movies I wouldn't mind having, but a lot were animated things that would be good to have to entertain kids, more than to sit and watch myself. 

For now I think their biggest draw will be for the people who like to purchase television series over iTunes.  Kinda nice how you can purchase the current season, download new episodes the day they air, and then be able to watch them commercial free if you are a fan of a certain show.  I know there's a few that I probably wouldn't mind paying $20-30 to watch the season commercial free. 

Back