Fund raising

C Pav

Reaction score
Okay, if you have kids you know. If you don't have kids you still know. Fund raising. It's been around for as far back as I remember. In grade school we had fund raisers going around to hope to sell enough to get some prizes. We didn't really know or care why just to get those prizes. Well it's gotten to a point where I can't stand it anymore. 

First off I remember shortly after wife and I got married scouts going dorr to door to sell popcorn. The chocolate caramel popcorn used to be real good. Came in a large tin and you got a good amount for what it was. Over the years not only has the price gone up crazy, it is poor quality, not ina  tin and you get a small amount.

Scouts now setup at stores and even in gas stations. I hate having to make an excuse, ignore them or sneak by.

Having kids we have had to do so many fund raisers already. I'm sure we will have so many more to come. I feel bad hitting up family. I don't mind if they don't donate either so @ryanator letting you know I never will be upset if the anser is no. We end up donating so much ourselves to help out.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, growing up it seems like we sold those little chocolate bars with almonds in them. That or encyclopedias lol. But yes, it seems like the kids sell more things these days. one of my daughters is in Girl Scouts so we have the whole girl scout cookies to sell. Now everyone loves Girl Scout cookies, so they sell themselves. But there are quite a few girls in Girl Scouts around her, so the competition is stiff. One thing that I don't think is fair like your post above is kids setting up booths at stores etc. This shouldn't be allowed. The whole point of selling is for your child to ask themselves and learn how the process all works. Also, another thing I see which isn't supposed to be allowed is people posting on social networks. I am a good supporter of these just because I have kids and people support mine. I don't mind helping. 

I originally, I thought this was going to be a post about GoFundMe Me etc.. Those things make my blood boil for the way people abuse those.

Oh I agree about liking to help out but in a way it's non stop all year round. At work everyone is selling something for their kids. I was more saying how terrible some of the stuff is compared to years past (price up/quality down) and the sellingin public places.

Yuuuuuuuup. Just had one here. I didn't bother anyone and just bought the stuff ourselves.

Not really, still supporting the cause.

Back