Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Tutoring - Restudying math after 10 years, what a frustrating difference.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I've been helping tutor Calculus, of a sort, for a co-worker friend of a company I used to work for.  She is in her 40's doing a Finance major. Now, I majored in Math with a 3.55 average, but wow, I don't have the patience to sit down and solve these types of problems anymore.  I started with the first half of the semester and put in a lot of hours to relearn all of this to try to teach it to my friend, but I'm not really able to grasp it anymore.  Also, she doesn't have much time either with a family, job, and involved in so many community functions.  The second half of the semester takes derivatives of ln and log functions, but takes forever, then the word problems.  Also, the professor doesn't let students reference any notes, so our idea of that went out the window.

I successfully tutored a company manager in Stats over a year ago, I can do that and Algebra, but calculus should not be required unless you are a math, engineering, or science major.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I envy you, I can't even do fractions. Honestly all the math that I can remember is up to division, after that I couldn't answer anything. Another thing I am bad at it measurements unless it's at an inch or half inch.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
It's funny even among the same technically minded people, how some are good and it comes natural and some not.  When I was in college, I got B's in all three calculus classes I think. I probably wouldn't do as well now.

After years of measurements in wood working and little metal working, I've come to the conclusion that fractions and the imperial system should replaced with the metric system, so much easier and consistent.  However, there were reasons for using fractions at times, but it should be secondary and less emphasis compared to metrics.

Last edited by a moderator:

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
My best classes in school were science, history and anatomy by brail.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
That explains it, history and math don't go together.  I was poor at history and actually science.  But I was not good at comprehension.  Brail???