Gaming laptop/desktop recommendation for a friend $600-800 max.

ryanator

Reaction score
I'm trying to help a friend buy a decent gaming quality laptop or desktop (preferably).  He originally said $600, but would go up to $800 for one that is worth it and will give him several good years of gaming.  He's not an extreme graphics gamer.

Well I would go with a good brand above everything. IBM, Lenovo, Sony. But the new HPs are nice. Honeslty this day and age for that type of money your gonna get something good. Costco has some decent deals on laptops.

Well I would go with a good brand above everything. IBM, Lenovo, Sony. But the new HPs are nice. Honeslty this day and age for that type of money your gonna get something good. Costco has some decent deals on laptops.
IBM and Sony?  Do they even still make computers?  Pretty sure Sony sold off Vaio a while back.   Lenovo I could get behind as an option, or else the Asus machines for laptops.  For the budget you'll get a lot more in a desktop though

I might help him build a desktop, get some good components, or is it even cheaper to build anymore?

I might help him build a desktop, get some good components, or is it even cheaper to build anymore?
Building isn't necessarily cheaper, it's just more customizable.  For quite a while you could probably find comparable pre-built machines cheaper than you could build, unless you really took time to shop around and watch for deals.  You have far more control on a custom build though, able to pick each individual part, and it's going to be more customizable going forward.  Most machines you just purchase are going to be fairly crammed full and may have some custom designed pieces, hindering upgrades going forward.If leaning toward a desktop, I would shop around for machines from your choice in manufacturers in your friend's price range, then look at what you could get into with a custom build.  There's always http://pcpartpicker.com/ to get some ideas or put some potential builds together

If you can do a desktop they will always out perform a laptop. Just depends on what you use them for. You could build a AMD System and save tons of money. The only limit is not being able to go with DDR 4. But the performance between DDR 3 and 4 is not too big. I forgot about ASUS laptops, they make decent ones, and some great gaming ones also. You could make a pretty sweet custom build fir around that money. Might not be a i7 but an i3 or even an i5 which is nothing to complain about. @ndboarder posted a great link. I like to check out other people's builds.

Back