Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Thinking about getting back into Astronomy

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I've always loved the night sky. Years ago I had a nice Meade telescope and put alot of money into eye pieces for it. It was amazing to look at the moon, planets, and nebulae. Kinda miss it. So I have been looking at some new scopes the last few night and getting use to whats on the market these days. Anyone else have a telescope?

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
No but I used to have a cheap one as a kid and loved it. Sure wasn't a fancy or powerful one but seeing the moon with it and some of the detail the naked eye can't see was amazing.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
Also able to look into detail of the neighbors house... just kidding, but that's cool that you want to continue that. Other than the moon, what kind of details in the sky can you get? I suppose if you get one powerful enough, you can see detail on the planets, and I don't know what nebulae is (I'm typing this without googling it to :) )

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
You would actually be surprised on how much you can see with say a 90mm scope. Let me tell you if any of you have never looked though a telescope you really are missing out. The first time I saw Saturn with it rings I was mind blown. Or Jupiter with it's moons. The moon once you see it though a telescope you will never look at it the same again. Reminds me of plaster. Ring nebulae was awesome too, or galaxies to show you how insignificant you really are. I think at least everyone should experience this at least once in their life.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So yesterday I scored big. I have been wanting another telescope as you can tell. But they are expensive and just not a huge priority. But wanted to get one to share with my Daughter sometime. I am on a local FB classified here and there are a lot of good deals that come by and if you don't act fast you miss out. I get back from lunch yesterday and I scroll. Here in a post is a telescope. Not just any telescope but an Orion brand one. I had done my research and Orion is the brand I was planning on going with. My last one was a Meade and while it wasn't bad they seems to have gone down hill after becoming such a large company. So here is a Orion and not just any Orion but a star blast 6. I contacted the lady ASAP, and told here I would come pick it up after work. (I didn't want to wait to long before she realized what she had). She said they bought it and used it twice and it sat in storage. It was a long little drive to get to her house which was out in the middle of nowhere but it was worth it. She wasn't lying there is was sitting in a storage shed. Just coated with some dust. I really didn't look at it just paid here and left. Got it home took the tube off and took my time and got all the dust off. Put some car wax on the tube, cleaned the gears etc. There are one a couple of scuff marks on the tube which I could probably get out with some scratch remover. Besides that the thing is mint. Original book, eyepieces, etc. The battery in the spotter is dead which is just a small cr2032 battery so I will get one today. So took it out last night after cleaning it off and set it up on our picnic table. I was a little worried about the inside mirrors. But thankfully she did the most important thing and kept the tube cover on. That kept the dust out of the tube. Guess what? It worked flawless. I pointed it at some random bright things since it was late and I just wanted to try it out fast. One of the very first objects I pulled up was Saturn. Low and behold there she was in all her glory. Rings and all. Good crisp image. I do really need to get a Barlow adapter next then I will be good. But such a steal. So here is the part you have been waiting for. You should see how much they are new. I will link it on Amazon. What did I pay you ask? $50, yes $50. Amazing...

Amazon Link

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Went home and did a collimation on my telescope. Wasn't to bad but there was a little. Now it's perfectly aligned. Can't wait to try it out tonight.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Trying to decided on a new finder scope. The little red dot one that I thought the batteries were out on is defective. But they are all known to get that way. It's a cheap $15 dollar part. Trying to decided if I should get a RICA finder scope or regular and if I should get a illuminated or non illuminated one. It's about a $50 difference to have it illuminated.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So I bet the bullet and went with the 9x50 Illuminated Right-Angle Finder Scope. You only live once right? Also bought a camera adapter.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Had a great time star hopping around last night. Saw some cool star clusters. Also looked at Double Cluster. Such an awesome group of stars. Almost had a light hue of blue to them.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Get my Telrad mounted the other night. Looks really good and can't wait to try it out. Unfortunately the last two evenings it has been cloudy here at night. Go figure.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Also forgot, got my Pelican case (I figured if I was going to go all out might as well get the best). It has nice a simple "pluck foam" in it and i made nice spaces for all my lenses.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Going on 6 days now with the sky being cloudy at night. Waiting to try out all my new stuff. Hopefully this week.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Man I have some back luck lately. All day it was somewhat clear so I was kinda excited to go out. I at least got my Telrad aligned tonight, But after that things clouded up to bad. Hopefully tomorrow night. Been like a solid week now.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Think today after watching a few Youtube videos on how to use my laser collimator I pretty sure I finally understand it. I went home and lunch and lined things up way better.