Dewalt tools

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So me and my Dad have been updating our new garage. We have added two work benches with shelves, including a wall of pegboard and we have also added 5 more large shelves to the wall for oil etc. I have a cheap old 14v cordless drill but my dad brought over some tools while we are working. One of them was this Dewalt 20v cordless impact driver drill. Let me tell you first off it's small but it has the perfect head size to it. Tons of power it it start to hammer at the end. Has 3 bright L.E.D.s also. It makes my old drill look like a pile of crap. Thinking about picking up a combo kit that comes with this two batteries and a drill also. Anyone been around one before?

M6JKTzE.jpg

The entire kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
So so many times I wanted a nice cordless drill, but all these years have been using a 50+ year old corded drill of my grandpas.  Dewalt's a very good choice, I also love Milwaukee tools, they claim to have the most powerful drill on the market:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2704-20

2704-20_1.png

My Dad has a lot of Makita tools also. It has been fun working with him we worked for about 3 days on it. I'm not that good with the whole craftsman thing but my Dad use to do it for a living so he knows what He's doing. It has been real fun out there working with Him. He has his table saw and chop saw over here also.

Ya that's the same style drill @ryanator. I would recommend trying one it really impressed me.

I have the 18V Dewalt impact driver.  Great for running screws and such if that's primarily what you will use it for.  Not a 100% replacement for an actual drill or hammer drill though.  The 20v lithium ion battery tools did exist when I bought my Dewalt set, but I went with the 18V NiCad set instead.  I don't know if that's the right choice or not, but I had read that the lithium did last longer in tools like the circular saw, but that the NiCad would last longer in other tools and that NiCad would stand up to cold temps better.   There's a kit coming soon from Dewalt to use the 20V lithium batters in the 18V tools  (the tools are the same, just the area for the battery differs)

Quick aside on the whole circular saw thing.  IF you buy cordless tools or sets, I would skip a cordless circular saw.  They work, but they drain batteries incredibly fast.  I skipped this tool from Dewalt because a previous cordless set I had would take both batteries to just barely cut through an 8 foot length of plywood.  If you need a circular saw, just get a corded one....

Quick aside on the whole circular saw thing.  IF you buy cordless tools or sets, I would skip a cordless circular saw.  They work, but they drain batteries incredibly fast.  I skipped this tool from Dewalt because a previous cordless set I had would take both batteries to just barely cut through an 8 foot length of plywood.  If you need a circular saw, just get a corded one....
I would agree. It's got to take a lot of power going through a 2x4 or anything for that matter. Defiantly a corded one. My Dad still uses his Skillsaw from the 70s. We went looking for a new blade for it the other day and his chop saw. Picked up these nice Diablo blades. http://www.diablotools.com/

Here is the adapter set that is coming for 18V dewalt tools if there's anyone here interested (supposed to be available this month sometime)

http://dewalt.com/tools/cordless-batteries-dca2203c.aspx

I know my Dad is looking forward to it being available and I'll likely pick one up as well for use in my drill and impact driver as pictured in my previous post.  The drills are the tools most likely to last a little longer on the lithium ion.  Not sure it would give much more kick or battery life to the reciprocating saw or some of the other tools I've added to my collection outside of that initial set (jig saw, etc)

I've also heard some stores may be offering a deal where you can buy a couple bare 18V tools (no batteries included with them) and then you get the adapter set (includes adapter, 2 x 20V batteries and a charger) for free.  So if there's a couple 18V Dewalts you want to add to a collection that could be a good route as well.

Well I got a early birthday gift from my parents this morning. A new set. Also went with the "XR" series which is their new "brushless" motor series. They are starting to phase out the non XR stuff. Basically more torque and more power. They are a little more but your getting the latest stuff. I was surprised by how fast the batteries charge to. They are deluxe though. I used them all day today. The kit I got.

Link

Just picked up a Dewalt tool belt for my Dad for helping me out with the garage.

Got my Dad a new level for his B-day. Expensive bugger.

p_1000709602.jpg

Tried out the saw yesterday. Pretty amazing for just using a battery. Very light also. Doesn't have a large blade depth as say a Skill saw but it's perfect for 2x4 etc. A must have for your tool collections.

I also have this.

dewalt-DW758-main-lg.jpg

I must say having the right tool for the job makes all the difference in the world. For example I installed a new mailbox the other day. I needed to cut the boards where it sat on. I grabbed my cordless Dewalt skill saw and walked out there and cut all the boards needed without any cords way out there. My alternative would had been to use a hand saw over and over. This thing did the job within 5 minutes. I really like the Dewalt stuff.

I've always said, if you have the right tools, there's no job that can't be done.  This is why it's easy to have a large tool collection.

So I got a raise at work and decided to get myself a treat. I have always wanted one for my vehicles. A Dewalt buffer.

61Be5g8XIoL._SY355_.jpg

Have you seen Dewalt's chainsaw? I am kinda impressed and wouldn't mind getting one.

Back