Hero worship

Davidc

Reaction score
Full details coming soon aka place holder.

Batman? Superman? Jmanz?

I'm sure a dissertation or two has been written on the topic before however, let us delve ever so slightly into the subject at hand. Are those that are iconic in our society richly deserving of our admiration and attention? Could we not argue that they got there either through marketing, genetics, or luck of the draw? Some may have attained celebrity status through sure determination and grit but, one could insist that many with the same zeal have not made the grade. Why not admire and revere the average Joe who keeps plugging away with the same level of intensity as those with the genetics, luck, or who've had the help of some promotional agency?

Hero worship in some cases maybe a form of glorified jealousy.  Its interesting that most people would name their parents as their heroes.  This is either a lack of creativity or really good allowances.  Rest assure that my parents are not heroes, lol.

Can you be your own hero?

Can you be your own hero?
The person responsible for the creation of fluxoid certainly could consider himself a hero cause we all know he is.

I'm sure a dissertation or two has been written on the topic before however, let us delve ever so slightly into the subject at hand. Are those that are iconic in our society richly deserving of our admiration and attention? Could we not argue that they got there either through marketing, genetics, or luck of the draw? Some may have attained celebrity status through sure determination and grit but, one could insist that many with the same zeal have not made the grade. Why not admire and revere the average Joe who keeps plugging away with the same level of intensity as those with the genetics, luck, or who've had the help of some promotional agency?
I would say there are a few of those out there which you mention as iconic which do deserve such things.  However, not many... I would agree that many average joe's out there deserve the same, but there is one problem.  If you look at those in society that have this status many that are widely known are in the entertainment industry.  Whether it be a comedian, actor, newscaster, sports player, etc... they mainly get the attention because it is broadcast to the mass public, and really all they are doing is their job, or worse yet playing a stupid game.  The problem for Joe Shmoe answering the phone, programming the computer, growing the crops, raising cattle, etc, is that nobody sees them or understands the impact they have on society.

I would say there are a few of those out there which you mention as iconic which do deserve such things.  However, not many... I would agree that many average joe's out there deserve the same, but there is one problem.  If you look at those in society that have this status many that are widely known are in the entertainment industry.  Whether it be a comedian, actor, newscaster, sports player, etc... they mainly get the attention because it is broadcast to the mass public, and really all they are doing is their job, or worse yet playing a stupid game.  The problem for Joe Shmoe answering the phone, programming the computer, growing the crops, raising cattle, etc, is that nobody sees them or understands the impact they have on society.
It's the little people that make a difference correct? Without them there would be no Hero's to worship.

It's crazy the number of people out there that don't realize or appreciate where everyday items come from.  I don't know how many times I hear about or have talked to people that think/thought bread just came from the grocery store and either still do, or did until they moved to a farming community.  :smt011

It's the little people that make a difference correct? Without them there would be no Hero's to worship.
Without the Joes running the cameras/video equipment, there would be no exposure to the masses.

Alot of interesting points being brought out here.  :smt023

Back