All things related to the Sony Playstation platforms

Size comparison.

8OqHmQ0.jpg

BS = BULLSHOT! BULLSHOT everywhere!

PS4 graphics look good!
Seriously!?!?! Pretty sure either console that supports up to 4K resolution and is next gen is going to be able to show graphics that look good.

Happy belated birthday to me!

ILlxG2j.jpg

The top down image with the controller on top is not a very flattering image of it. So what do people think of their new controller design? I think it looks like a pain, if you were to need to use the trackpad part of it. Owning a Vita, the touch sensitive part has issues at times, and even on the vita where it's the back of the device and at your finger tips it's not convenient to use. On this control where it seems for precision you'd have to let go with one hand or the other it seems even like more of a pain.

I agree it's ok looking, but I will need to feel it hands on to make my final decision. The xbox 360 perfected the controller imho.

I agree it's ok looking, but I will need to feel it hands on to make my final decision. The xbox 360 perfected the controller imho.
I'd agree, except that from those I know who have held an Xbox One controller they say it is better yet, so the perfect has been made more pefecterest

Ya still can't decide on which console yet.

Ya still can't decide on which console yet.
I think everyone needs TitanFall when it comes out. The reviews are amazing that I've read and I've heard from some that played at PAX or other game conventions that it is as good as everyone says

• All Retail Games Will Need To Be Installed

• No Audio CD Playback or MP3 Playback

• No DLNA Support for PC Media Servers

• No External Drive Support

• No 4K Output Support

• Sony Offering Blu-ray / DVD "One-Time Activation" Disc By Mail

• Day One Software Update Can Be Installed via USB

• Upgrade PS3 Games (CoD: Ghosts, BF4, Assassin's Creed 4) To PS4 for $9.99

Hmm, not sure what I think of these next gen fails.

Huh. Wow. Nearly speechless at that list. Some of those are silly. Some of those items indicate that the future is not quite here yet and there will be at least a PS5. (A piss if you will. You heard it here first)

I just checked amazon for CoD: Ghosts. Its the same price for the PS3 as PS4. Can I play the PS3 version on a PS3 after I have upgraded to the PS4 version? Also, $10 seems steep for that "upgrade."

*shrug*

In response to @WanKerr, Yes, you can play both. The upgrades are pretty much the same between PS4 and Xbox One. It's just a cheaper option than buying the $60 game for each. If you don't want to buy twice, it's to pay the upgrade, or just wait for next gen.

CoD, I'll be upgrading. Other games that are out now, like Assassins Creed IV, I'll just wait and get only the Xbox One version.

Now onto my big rambling post of stuff.

I'd seen the list of things the PS4 wouldn't do at launch, but the activation disc was new to me. I think this is for "offline" gamers though. The Day1 update for PS4 is said to enable BD/DVD playback. Without the update you can't do it. I'm assuming this disc is for people that don't have internet or have crummy internet and downloading a 300MB patch isn't an option.

The Xbox One has had it's own set of issues coming into light recently as well. For both consoles (and for current gen consoles at launch) there will be road bumps and prices to pay for being early to the game. Sad, but it's the way things are these days. Games are no different. It is rare to buy a game these days that doesn't require a patch the second you put it into your console, even if you buy it at midnight on release day (or get it early somehow :) )

I'd say between launch and Xmas both MS and Sony will have ironed out any kinks that remain in the consoles them selves. Major issues will be resolved by day1 patches on launch dates.

Games on the other hand will vary quite heavily from console to console depending which one the dev team spends more resources on for 6 months or so is my best guess. After that, the studios will have become accustomed to next gen and the cross platform games will behave identically between the two systems, outside of any system specific features they choose to implement on one versus another. The biggest surprise I've seen is that CoD: Ghosts is optimized more for the PS4 than Xbox One. Granted the difference in 1080p native, and upscaled 1080p will be very negligible, I was surprised by it since Activision/Infinity Ward/Treyarch seem to be cozy with MS given the DLC for the CoD franchise has been and will continue to be available on the Xbox platform first. Generally Xbox players get content 1-2 months before PC or other consoles.

FYI, battlefield 4 is the same scenario on next gen, but like I said, I expect each individual game will tilt to one system or the other for the launch windows. By 2014, maybe taking until the spring timeframe, the studios will have the nuances of each system figured out.

Back