Nintendo Switch

Yeah, it's not powerful.  It is not a console, it's more of a handheld and you can dock it.   As with pretty much any Nintendo console in recent years - you buy it for the exclusive titles.  They aren't going to get many big 3rd party games.  It isn't powerful enough to run the same games available on other consoles.   You buy this to play Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and other things like Pokemon or whatever nintendo exclusive titles float your boat.   If you don't care about any of those, you don't buy a Switch.

Yeah, it's not powerful.  It is not a console, it's more of a handheld and you can dock it.   As with pretty much any Nintendo console in recent years - you buy it for the exclusive titles.  They aren't going to get many big 3rd party games.  It isn't powerful enough to run the same games available on other consoles.   You buy this to play Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and other things like Pokemon or whatever nintendo exclusive titles float your boat.   If you don't care about any of those, you don't buy a Switch.
Exactly, doesn't need to be about power. You want an awesome Zelda? There you go. Like Mario and want a great looking one soon? There you go. Mario Kart, Metroid and other Nintendo first party games? That's what it offers. It's a hybrid where you can play on a big screen or take with you as a portable which in itself should be the big deal especially if you like the games they offer.

I have to admit, Nintendo is finally pumping out games for the Switch.

I have to admit, I kinda want a Switch now. I don't know if it is the new guy in control or what, but Nintendo seems to have gotten their shit together this time around and are pumping out games. The future is looking good as well.

I have to admit, I kinda want a Switch now. I don't know if it is the new guy in control or what, but Nintendo seems to have gotten their shit together this time around and are pumping out games. The future is looking good as well.
It really is a great system. Sure I have not touched mine since the first few weeks once I got it it does offer a large assortment of fun games. Zelda is amazing and then you have Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 and a nice selection of RPGs and other games.Being able to play as a console on a tv or as a handheld is another amazing feature.

Mine arrives this evening. Finally pulled the trigger...

The deciding factor before was the lack of streaming apps. The news that Hulu is now available re-upped my interest.

I'll probably only play Zelda and Mariokart (if I even find time for that). But holding out hope for Vudu and Netflix support as I'll be using this for my airplane/travel entertainment and then for streaming tv in the master bedroom. I'm sure I'm in the vast minority for end usage here, but the technology just seems cool to me and I have no interest in owning an IPad etc...

also considering shelling out the money for the docking-projector.

also considering shelling out the money for the docking-projector.
Wait they make a projector that you can dock the switch to say display on a wall?

come on man, I thought you knew everything about this stuff...
Nope had no clue, that could come in handy while traveling.

I will admit, they are going full stream with their game lineup, Remastered Dark Souls,Mario Tennis, The World Ends with You: Final Remix, JRPG Ys VIII, SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy, and Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze so far this year.

Is it true @C Pav I have been hearing that the Switch has now been hacked and has turned into a major emulation station?

Strange I was just thinking about this thread, it seems the Switch has really faded off. Anyone still play theirs?

Strange I was just thinking about this thread, it seems the Switch has really faded off. Anyone still play theirs?
It's still a console to play nintendo games, still as popular as they were. There was just talk in the last week of a Switch 2 launching as early as next year. Seems to soon to me. I realize both Sony and Microsoft will likely have new consoles hitting the market holiday 2019 (maybe not until 2020) - but the Switch is too new and hasn't had enough good games. I think if Nintendo chose to ditch the console already people will be shy of buying a Switch 2 already. I would see this move resulting in sales and reception where Switch = Wii and Switch 2 = Wii U
Though, I haven't read into the details so maybe it's just a minor hardware refresh like the Xbox S/X or PS4 Pro - if the same games can run on new and old hardware it would be fine

It's still a console to play nintendo games, still as popular as they were. There was just talk in the last week of a Switch 2 launching as early as next year. Seems to soon to me. I realize both Sony and Microsoft will likely have new consoles hitting the market holiday 2019 (maybe not until 2020) - but the Switch is too new and hasn't had enough good games. I think if Nintendo chose to ditch the console already people will be shy of buying a Switch 2 already. I would see this move resulting in sales and reception where Switch = Wii and Switch 2 = Wii UThough, I haven't read into the details so maybe it's just a minor hardware refresh like the Xbox S/X or PS4 Pro - if the same games can run on new and old hardware it would be fine
Ya I have been meaning to make a post that it seems there is a new PS5 coming real soon. I haven't heard much about Microsoft's side but I know it seems like they just came out with some new ones recently. As far as Nintendo is concerned, I also think it would be a big mistake to release a new console so soon. People aregoing to feel cheated. But it seems these day the advancement of hardware is getting faster and faster with is resulting with faster released systems. The old consoles would last years and years.

I did some more research, they expect the PS5 to release November 2020. They say they are making to much money off the PS4 to release it sooner.

The newer Xbox / PS4 models are just upgraded consoles though. More power, but run all the same games, just enhanced. If that's what a Switch 2 is, that would be fine.

The 2020 date for PS5 would have nothing to do with PS4 sales numbers. The date is certainly realistic, but sales of the current generation won't have a real big impact on when they launch a new one. If Xbox came out and said they had truly new generation console coming in 2019, they would not wait until 2020 to launch - and vice versa.

Hell if Nintendo suddenly says the Switch 2 is coming and it is going to be a full on console and next-gen specs, both Xbox and PlayStation would have statements out about machiens that were in the works within days (whether they had anything actaully close to ready or not)

The newer Xbox / PS4 models are just upgraded consoles though. More power, but run all the same games, just enhanced. If that's what a Switch 2 is, that would be fine.The 2020 date for PS5 would have nothing to do with PS4 sales numbers. The date is certainly realistic, but sales of the current generation won't have a real big impact on when they launch a new one. If Xbox came out and said they had truly new generation console coming in 2019, they would not wait until 2020 to launch - and vice versa.
Hell if Nintendo suddenly says the Switch 2 is coming and it is going to be a full on console and next-gen specs, both Xbox and PlayStation would have statements out about machiens that were in the works within days (whether they had anything actaully close to ready or not)
I was just going from a quote:

"If I had to bet, it's 2020. Sony's making so much money with the PS4 that I think they'll continue to milk it as long as they can milk it. The PS5 is probably going to be their real 4K device, and so it just feels to me that they're not going to launch the PS5 until sales momentum for the PS4 slows, and it just hasn't. it if slows in 2019, they're probably launching in 2020."
https://www.ps5playstation5.com/ps5-release-date-countdown

Back