New Lawn Mower

jmanz

Reaction score
My hand me down Toro lawn mower is on its last legs. Thinking about getting a Honda push mower possibly. Don't need too many options, just self propell mainly. Any other suggestions or experiences with Honda mowers?

Honda is what I would get also if I was to get one these days. I say one at Costco about a month back that was a good deal if you have a Costco. But I have only ever heard good things about Honda lawnmowers. The resale value on them are high too. Are you going to get a self-propelled one?

Yup it will be self-propelled. Don't need electric start or any of that stuff though. The one I was looking at sells for $400 at Home Depot.

I think this was the one Costco had. Might be worth getting a membership to if you have one in your area. I don't know the model you were looking at though. When you start looking you will see most of the engines are provided by Briggs and Stratton these day. So make sure it's a Honda engine. Nothing wrong with Briggs and Stratton though. I have a rider now, and two other mowers. My self propelled is a Poulan Pro. I have to admit I didn't take very good care of it over the years, Lack of oil changes etc. I have gotten better though. I am good about changing it now, cleaning the air filter and even put a new spark plug in it last year. What I am saying for all the abuse it has been though it is still a beast. But ya if I needed a new one I would get Honda these days. I think Husqvarna makes them as well. They seem to be nice.

It looks nice I would say you can't really go wrong. The only thing, not that it may matter to you is that has the normal sized wheels all around. I kinda like the larger wheels in the back. But I think they are more made for hills etc.

Husqvarna uses Honda engines as well I just found out.

Husqvarna uses Honda engines as well I just found out.
I was going to write this earlier. I thought when I walked by I saw it said Honda engine on it, because I even pointed it out to my dad. You might want to look into those now then. Maybe you can get yourself a matching Husqvarna chainsaw while your at it.

Pretty sure I'm going to get that Honda I linked above. We don't have a Home Depot but I guess Runnings carries them here. I was surprised to see that.

You kinda got me hooked on lawnmowers again. I am looking at getting a bagger for my rider now. Dam things are bloody expensive. Then I started looking into homemade ones. Those things are pretty redneck looking but functional.

All the people with riders have those around here. The yards look really nice afterwards.

All the people with riders have those around here. The yards look really nice afterwards.
Is your yard not big enough for a rider? I mean that's another alternative.

Is your yard not big enough for a rider? I mean that's another alternative.
The yard is probably big enough for a rider but I don't mind stretching my legs a bit. Only takes me around an hour to mow it. Kind of nice to zone out for that hour and just be outside.

Ya I would just do a push then, a nice new mower will make all the difference. Get yourself a nice pair of headphones to mow with to, makes a big difference.

Ended up buying that Honda from Runnings. Even got a sale that I didn't even know about. $375. They put oil in and started it up at the store. Kind of a nice touch, the older folks would like that I'm sure. The mower fired right up and cut really well. This one has two blades vs my old mower that had one blade. It was nice having self-propelled again.

This one has two blades
Two spinning at the same time? Also does it have cutting oil in it or break in oil? Might want to read your manual. Sometimes I think you leave it in longer or shorter. Also do yourself a favor and treat her good oil changes, air filter cleaning, and spark plug changes. These are all fairly easy to do on a lawnmower. I am jealous though. If I didn't already have 3 I might be interested lol.

Yes two spinning blades. I do have to change oil after 5 hours of initial use. Not a big deal there. Everything is nice and easy to get at, of course most of them are on push mowers. Fairly simple machines, until something breaks of course. Look forward to many years from it.

Yes two spinning blades.
Do they both spin in the same direction? Or does one spin one way, and the other spin the opposite direction? I have never seen a setup with two blades except for riders for the width.

Back