The Nampa Figurine

Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
In 1889, a group of workers was searching for water near the town of Nampa in southwestern Idaho. To create a well, they drilled a borehole down about 295 feet (90 meters), at which point their steam pump began to spit out bits of clay. Amongst the projectiles, the workers discovered a tiny clay form (the size of a dime) that appeared to have been formed into the shape of a skinny clothed woman.
Professor Albert A. Wright of Oberlin College described the figurine and its authenticity in 1979: “It was not the product of a small child or amateur, but was made by a true artist. Though badly battered by time, the doll’s appearance is still distinct: it has a bulbous head, with barely discernible mouth and eyes; broad shoulders; short, thick arms; and long legs, the right leg broken off…There are also faint geometric markings on the figure, which represent either clothing patterns or jewelry - they are found mostly on the chest around the neck, and on the arms and wrists. The doll is the image of a person of a high civilization, artistically attired.”

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I’m not sure, but seems a lot out there think this is most likely a hoax. Here’s a picture.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I’m not sure, but seems a lot out there think this is most likely a hoax. Here’s a picture.
Ya I read it as well, tough to say, but was interesting because I never heard of it before.