Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

The MP3 Is Officially Dead

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
a hard pill to swallow... i compare it to giving up dvd for blu ray
How hard is DVD to BD?  480p vs 1080p (or 4k).  That was easy once I didn't have any 4:3 Tvs around anymore and all my DVDs looked like crap on TV.  Currently moving toward giving up most discs and just doing digital 

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
This is the future. Even gaming is going this way.
I find it easier to go this way with gaming.  It's more convenient for both.  Gaming is easier because TBH I'm much less likely to replay a game in 15 years compared to how likely I am to rewatch a 15 year old movie.  If a game becomes somehow unavailable it's not as big of a deal (cue anger from @C Pav)

The primary reason I have an issue with digital movies more so than games is that mostly digital movies are streaming today (which is good compared to DRM'ed local copies), and I can't get over the fact that 1080p or 4k from a disc is going to be a much higher bitrate and quality (noticeable or not) than it is from streaming over available internet connections.  Game son the other hand you download and have on the console and they were never compressed, so it's the same as having the disc

The one hope I have for digital movies is a simpler and cheaper upgrade option as tech progresses.  You could have bough a movie on VHS, then on DVD and then on Blu Ray and now perhaps purchased a 4th time to upgrade to a 4K movie.  With digital at least they could just let you pay a nominal fee to upgrade your digital copy from say 1080p to 4k, or 4k to 8k or whatever it is that comes next.  Whether they will or not is a whole other topic

Last edited by a moderator:

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
What I have been wanting to do is rip all of my movies to a central location. Then use Plex to play them back. Unfortunately I haven't had time to experiment with it. So if anyone has done this or has recommendations for software let me know.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
I find it easier to go this way with gaming.  It's more convenient for both.  Gaming is easier because TBH I'm much less likely to replay a game in 15 years compared to how likely I am to rewatch a 15 year old movie.  If a game becomes somehow unavailable it's not as big of a deal (cue anger from @C Pav)

The primary reason I have an issue with digital movies more so than games is that mostly digital movies are streaming today (which is good compared to DRM'ed local copies), and I can't get over the fact that 1080p or 4k from a disc is going to be a much higher bitrate and quality (noticeable or not) than it is from streaming over available internet connections.  Game son the other hand you download and have on the console and they were never compressed, so it's the same as having the disc

The one hope I have for digital movies is a simpler and cheaper upgrade option as tech progresses.  You could have bough a movie on VHS, then on DVD and then on Blu Ray and now perhaps purchased a 4th time to upgrade to a 4K movie.  With digital at least they could just let you pay a nominal fee to upgrade your digital copy from say 1080p to 4k, or 4k to 8k or whatever it is that comes next.  Whether they will or not is a whole other topic