Things you don't want to cheap out on in life

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other morning. What things have you bought in life that you never want to go the cheap route on? Meaning it is better to either buy the official or buy something that is better quality.

I'll start us off. Two things that come to my mind:

First is your bed. You spend so much time in this thing. Don't go cheap, pay the extra money and get something quality. You back will thank you for it. In fact your health and attitude throughout the day depends a lot on this.

Second is a good pair of socks. Don't get cheap ones. Get a think pair. The cheap ones will wear out faster actually costing you more money in the long run. Plus just like the bed, your feet will thank you.

Go ahead and add your own experiences.

Parlaying off of your socks idea, I would also say shoes. Get a decent pair otherwise there is likely going to be problems after a short while.

Tires are another thing. The cheaper high mileage ones will get you more miles, but at the cost of harder rubber. I did this once in my life. I thought might as well. Well come winter the hard rubber gets real hard and you actually have less traction. Plus in the summer they crack and split because they are so hard. I learned my lesson once. Remember your life and your family life relies on them. Stick with a good 30,000 mile tire. Also do your rotations. Don't buy some unheard of brand either. There are plenty of brands out there that make a decent tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toilets. If you need to replace one, don't buy the cheapest at Menards. Pay up for a good one.

Toilets. If you need to replace one, don't buy the cheapest at Menards. Pay up for a good one.
Aren't yours 24k gold plated?

I would say Sunglasses as well. Don't buy a pair off of a $5 rack that promises UV protection. Get a quality brand name pair. When you get done with using them, don't leave them laying on the dash of your vehicle etc. But them away in a case. They will last you a long time taken care of. I have had my Oakleys for many years now, just like new. No scratches because I always put them away in their back and then in their case. Trust me from someone that didn't wear sunglasses for years. Your eyes are an investment, so treat them well.

Some tools are worth buying a brand name. You need to buy a pair of Vise Grips, but a brand name Irwin Vise Grips. Same goes for Channel Locks, but the blue handled Channel Locks. Not all tools are this way, but these two things are.

Some tools are worth buying a brand name. You need to buy a pair of Vise Grips, but a brand name Irwin Vise Grips. Same goes for Channel Locks, but the blue handled Channel Locks. Not all tools are this way, but these two things are.
I could swear you said this exact same thing somewhere before....  Deja Vu

Beer, don't cheap out and by the cheapest you can get. There is some quality that goes into different beers.

Back